Re: John Mackay Problem ..............

Josephine Conray

Hello Ray.

There are 28 family trees on Ancestry for a John MacKay info as follow. This is from Ancestry so you will have to verified

John MacKay born 6 Jan 1779 Milton of Redcastle, Ross & Cromarty and died 21 June 1861, Police Station, Forres, Moray.

Married to Elspet MacGregor born 1774 Avielochan, Duthil Moray and died 22 Nov 1861 Forres Moray

Children --:

Willian  Born 27 Jan 1811 Duthil, Married to Jane Stewart 8 children   

Margaret  Born 8 Oct 1813 Duthil, married to John Douglas 8 children

Isabel   born 18 Oct 1816 Duthil

Some of the trees Have John born Kincastle , Urray, Ross & Cromarty and Redcastle.  I think all these places are near each other, you can take you pick

Hope this helps

Josephine

Qld Aust.

From: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io [mailto:Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io] On Behalf Of aberloursearch via groups.io
Sent: Monday, 13 July 2020 11:52 AM
To: suewood123@...; Scots@scotland-genealogy.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ScotGen] John Mackay Problem ..............

Good morning everyone,

I am searching for Jouhn Mackay who was listed as a labouror on the 1851 and 1861 census for Forres in Moray.

On these census he states he was 72 years old and 82 years old and born in Redcastle, Ross and Cromarty.

I also have a copy of his death certificate from 1861 that was witnessed by his son stating he was 82 years old and his parents were Duncan Mackay (farmer) and Margaret Fraser both deceased.

I then searched on Scotlands people for a birth of John Mackay son of Duncan Mackay and Margaret Fraser there was only one listed and he was born in 1779 which would fit with his age on the census and age on his death certificate.

However this John Mackay was NOT born in Redcastle but in Uray.

There are no other children listed for Duncan Mackay and Margaret Fraser on Scotlands people that i can find.

I did however find a marriage in Uray for a Duncan Mackay and Margaret Fraser however this marriage was in 1750 29 years before John Mackay was born.

All the information i have is from Scotlands people.

Anyones thoughts on this would be gratefully appreciated.

Ray

-----Original Message-----
To: Scots@scotland-genealogy.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Jul 13, 2020 8:27 am
Subject: Re: [ScotGen] McQueen / McLean Fernley near Carbost Skye

My problem is that the marriages I have found for some of this family don't give parents names.

If they stayed in Scotland I would be searching death records for the males for days and not hours.  The only accurate way that I can think of is to hope that some one, anyplace in the world, has Kenneth Mcqueen / MacQueen and Mary Mclean /MacLean on a death certificate. Would love to have other advice.

Join Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.