Re: Searching for John McLeod

Josephine Conray

Hi Claude.

My Dad was called Claude nice name. I know a lot of people don’t like Ancestry because of mistakes.  I think you should not discard the information in Family trees on Ancestry there might be one thing in that information that might break down walls for your tree. It is up to the person to prove or disprove the information.

I am not sure it these records below are the same David & Rebeccia Winchester that you are looking for; because on Ann Burgess email she said that Rebeccia Winchester died in Forres in 1864, age 38 that would make her born about 1826 I think that is a bit too old.

I found this information for David Winchester,

This is the birth & baptism info for David.

Name:

David Winchester

Male

Birth Date:

8 Dec 1839

Baptism Date:

3 Jan 1840

Baptism Place:

Edinkillie, Moray, Scotland

Father:

James Winchester

Mother:

Leslie Macpherson

FHL Film Number:

This is the marriage to a Rebeccia Ross  cannot find any children. Working on the marriage date she should have been born about 1841

Name:

David Winchester

Male

Marriage Date:

13 Jun 1862

Marriage Place:

Forres, Moray, Scotland

Spouse:

Rebeccia Ross

FHL Film Number:

This is the death of Rebeccia

Name:

Rebecca Winchester

Maiden Name:

Ross

Death Date:

2 May 1864

Death Place:

High Street Forres

Spouse:

David Winchester Carrier Forres

Original URL:

http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/pe...

This is the marriage to Margaret B Grant

Name:

David Winchester

Male

Marriage Date:

8 Dec 1865

Marriage Place:

Forres, Moray, Scotland

Spouse:

Margaret Brander Grant

FHL Film Number:

The children that I found for the marriage of David Winchester & Margaret Grant are

Diavid dee Winchester born 1859 Kinloss, Englinshire and Died in the USA he married twice Jessie McLarn Louder b1863 Glassford Lanarkshire in Scotland they had 8 Eight children  then he married Emma C (unknown)  Winchester in the USA she was born24 Dec 1881 in Mississippi & died 1 March 1948 3 Three children so far.

In the 1871 Census that I found David is the son of David & Margaret.

Eliza Ann 8 Feb 1863 Forres Elginshire

James 3 June 1873 Forres, Morayshire.

Margaret Lesslie 1 June 1874 Forres

Hope this helps

Josephine

Qld Aust.

From: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io [mailto:Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io] On Behalf Of Claude Hanson
Sent: Monday, 6 July 2020 2:13 AM
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ScotGen] Searching for John McLeod

This computer is so darned sensitive!  I have just sent two messages as I was beginning to write them.  I have learned to use Scotland's People well enough to use up my first purchase of points.  I have been doing genealogy for almost 41 years and I learned years ago to only record on my trees the hard data, not information from others, although in many cases it can be validated by finding the original recording (I call that "hard" data) so the information does serve as clues.

On the birth record of John McLeod, in 1853, it says his mother Rebecca, was from Snab and his father was from Dalvey.  And what does it mean when there is a blank for where he was baptised.  I have looked a bit to find the father of John McLeod  and the only Donald McLeod I can find was 49 years old in 1851.  (and, I was so exhausted last night (4th of July), I don't even remember where  it saw that).

When I'm using Scotland's People, I keep thinking it's home must be the place we visited 24 years ago.  My wife's cousin told us to be sure to get there early because there would be a long que!  None of us had ever heard of that phrase before and had no idea what she meant.  When we got there a long line was forming.... so we discovered that que in Scotland is the same as "waiting line" in Idaho!

It will be nice when I can again spend every Tuesday morning at our LDS family history center.  It's been closed since late February because of the wicked virus!!!!

Anne, I finally found the marriage for Rebecca Ross and the  birth record for John McLeod.  I was looking at in  a cite that limited the church records for marriages and I was looking in an area that only had births since 1855.  I'm learning.

Claude 

Join Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.