Re: 40 years looking for parents of John McLeod, b. 1854 or 1855 in Dyke, Elginshire

Anne Burgess

Unfortunately facts are chiels that winna ding.

The John McLeod, coachman, married to Helen and living in Alves in 1901 gives his birthplace as Forgue, Aberdeenshire, not Dyke, Moray (FMP transcription). In 1891 John, occupation coachman, Helen and daughter Sarah were living in Elgin, and he gave his birthplace as Forgue (FMP). In 1881 he was in Nairn, birthplace again Forgue, occupation coachman (LDS CD-ROM transcription)

Did you look at the 1890 marriage or 1929 death certificate to check who his parents were? Because I have just done so, and according to the marriage certificate the parents of this John McLeod were JAMES McLEOD and ANN McDONALD. Not Donald McLeod and Rebecca Ross.

I don't know where you got that tree from (Ancestry?) but it's just plain wrong.