Re: Looking for Duncan Campbell...

Goldie & Lido Doratti

You give their children..are the 2nd names you give MARRIED names, or in fact a second name of the child?  IF in fact, they are 2nd names you should also check out them.  For example......Rankin to me, would indicate someone’s grandmother’s maiden name.  Also the spellings.....the way you have spelled Christina..CHRISTIANA....never saw that spelling before.....try ‘messing’ with spellings and see what comes up.  DUNCAN may be shortened to Dunc.......Look for a marriage between Dunc and Christ** using wild cards.....but don’t give up on it.  Duncan Campbell is like looking for Joe Smith in New York city..how many do you think there were?  dig deep.....and Good luck......Goldie

From: Lynne Roberts
Sent: Thursday, July 2, 2020 7:02 PM
To: Scots@scotland-genealogy.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ScotGen] Looking for Duncan Campbell...

I'm happy to keep on looking - but there's no place to look that I can find - that's the reason I'm sharing this with you all.  As I just said - experienced researchers Durie and Dobson told me to forget it - that there wasn't anything to find pre-1800.  I'm just not willing to throw in the towel.

Lynne

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 6:24 PM Eliz Cook <elizcook@...> wrote:
Pity. my guys boarded the boat in Glasgow. Little bits of info make up the jigsaw.keep looking

Eliz

On 3 Jul 2020, at 11:18 am, Lynne Roberts <lnroberts673@...> wrote:

Heck no - gives no personal information at all - other than his name etc.  I have found not a single document including will and probate that includes that information.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 6:06 PM Eliz Cook <elizcook@...> wrote:
Does the immigration record say where he boarded the boat?

Eliz

On 3 Jul 2020, at 9:16 am, Lynne Roberts <lnroberts673@...> wrote:
Duncan Campbell - my only immigrant ancestor - my one and only opportunity to research family naturalization and immigration records - is a complete enigma prior to just before 1800.  My problem is that I have no idea - and have no way of finding out - where in Scotland he came from.  I went to Scotland and spent a week at the National Archives (Scotland's People had nothing and sent me there) and found very interesting documents and letters - had a great time but found nothing to further my family research.  When he first arrived with his wife Christiana and daughter Katherine, he went to Pennsylvania and stayed a couple of years prior to moving on to Ohio.  Have never found credible proof of them in PA.  I have researched and catalogued his life since 1816 - in Licking County, OH.  He then moved on to Radnor, Delaware Co, OH where he remained for the rest of his life - and where I found him being naturalized in the court records.  The one way I thought I could trace him in Scotland was through traditional naming patterns.  That appears to be very useful and I think I have a line on families in the Killin, Perthshire area.  As an aside, I found it extremely interesting to follow the naming pattern - it didn't identify THE family, but it sure helped to eliminate a lot of others.

Info on family is:
Duncan Campbell 1768 Scotland -1850 Radnor Delaware OH
Christiana (Kider?) 1768 Scotland - 1849 Radnor Delaware OH
Katherine Toothaker 1794 Scotland - 1844 Radnor
Elizabeth Rankin 1798 PA 1861 Newark, Licking, OH
Susanna Wise 1806 PA 1864 Troy, Delaware, OH
Peter Campbell 1808 PA - 1856 Rochester, Racine, WI
William Campbell  abt 1810 - Licking Co, OH bef 5 Mar 1859
Isabella Darst - OH, 30 June 1882 Troy, Delaware, OH

He just wasn't talking and before I die I'd love to know where he came from!!!
Lynne