Re: Looking for Duncan Campbell...

Lynne Roberts

I'm happy to keep on looking - but there's no place to look that I can find - that's the reason I'm sharing this with you all.  As I just said - experienced researchers Durie and Dobson told me to forget it - that there wasn't anything to find pre-1800.  I'm just not willing to throw in the towel.

Lynne

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 6:24 PM Eliz Cook <elizcook@...> wrote:
Pity. my guys boarded the boat in Glasgow. Little bits of info make up the jigsaw.keep looking

Eliz

On 3 Jul 2020, at 11:18 am, Lynne Roberts <lnroberts673@...> wrote:

Heck no - gives no personal information at all - other than his name etc.  I have found not a single document including will and probate that includes that information.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 6:06 PM Eliz Cook <elizcook@...> wrote:
Does the immigration record say where he boarded the boat?

Eliz

On 3 Jul 2020, at 9:16 am, Lynne Roberts <lnroberts673@...> wrote:
Duncan Campbell - my only immigrant ancestor - my one and only opportunity to research family naturalization and immigration records - is a complete enigma prior to just before 1800.  My problem is that I have no idea - and have no way of finding out - where in Scotland he came from.  I went to Scotland and spent a week at the National Archives (Scotland's People had nothing and sent me there) and found very interesting documents and letters - had a great time but found nothing to further my family research.  When he first arrived with his wife Christiana and daughter Katherine, he went to Pennsylvania and stayed a couple of years prior to moving on to Ohio.  Have never found credible proof of them in PA.  I have researched and catalogued his life since 1816 - in Licking County, OH.  He then moved on to Radnor, Delaware Co, OH where he remained for the rest of his life - and where I found him being naturalized in the court records.  The one way I thought I could trace him in Scotland was through traditional naming patterns.  That appears to be very useful and I think I have a line on families in the Killin, Perthshire area.  As an aside, I found it extremely interesting to follow the naming pattern - it didn't identify THE family, but it sure helped to eliminate a lot of others.

Info on family is:
Duncan Campbell 1768 Scotland -1850 Radnor Delaware OH
Christiana (Kider?) 1768 Scotland - 1849 Radnor Delaware OH
Katherine Toothaker 1794 Scotland - 1844 Radnor
Elizabeth Rankin 1798 PA 1861 Newark, Licking, OH
Susanna Wise 1806 PA 1864 Troy, Delaware, OH
Peter Campbell 1808 PA - 1856 Rochester, Racine, WI
William Campbell  abt 1810 - Licking Co, OH bef 5 Mar 1859
Isabella Darst - OH, 30 June 1882 Troy, Delaware, OH

 He just wasn't talking and before I die I'd love to know where he came from!!!
Lynne