Looking for Duncan Campbell...

Lynne Roberts

I know - it's like looking for John Smith.  I've had experts tell me that it's hopeless - David Dobson and Bruce Durie gave me some help, but in effect said it was hopeless.  But hope springs eternal - and I've been looking for him for years - why stop now?

Duncan Campbell - my only immigrant ancestor - my one and only opportunity to research family naturalization and immigration records - is a complete enigma prior to just before 1800.  My problem is that I have no idea - and have no way of finding out - where in Scotland he came from.  I went to Scotland and spent a week at the National Archives (Scotland's People had nothing and sent me there) and found very interesting documents and letters - had a great time but found nothing to further my family research.  When he first arrived with his wife Christiana and daughter Katherine, he went to Pennsylvania and stayed a couple of years prior to moving on to Ohio.  Have never found credible proof of them in PA.  I have researched and catalogued his life since 1816 - in Licking County, OH.  He then moved on to Radnor, Delaware Co, OH where he remained for the rest of his life - and where I found him being naturalized in the court records.  The one way I thought I could trace him in Scotland was through traditional naming patterns.  That appears to be very useful and I think I have a line on families in the Killin, Perthshire area.  As an aside, I found it extremely interesting to follow the naming pattern - it didn't identify THE family, but it sure helped to eliminate a lot of others.

Info on family is:
Duncan Campbell 1768 Scotland -1850 Radnor Delaware OH
Christiana (Kider?) 1768 Scotland - 1849 Radnor Delaware OH
Katherine Toothaker 1794 Scotland - 1844 Radnor
Elizabeth Rankin 1798 PA 1861 Newark, Licking, OH
Susanna Wise 1806 PA 1864 Troy, Delaware, OH
Peter Campbell 1808 PA - 1856 Rochester, Racine, WI
William Campbell  abt 1810 - Licking Co, OH bef 5 Mar 1859
Isabella Darst - OH, 30 June 1882 Troy, Delaware, OH

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.  Have been to Radnor and through their court house and genealogy society - helpful but not for origins.  He just wasn't talking and before I die I'd love to know where he came from!!!

Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have

Lynne