Re: 40 years looking for parents of John McLeod, b. 1854 or 1855 in Dyke, Elginshire

Claude Hanson <claudehanson@...>

Thank you Jim, Maggie, Charles, Goldie & Lida,  and Ray!  What a great day ... getting your suggestions and recommendations.  I tried to answer 
each of you individually; however, I couldn't figure out how.  (of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most)  I'm going to try to be very specific in the questions I ask... I'm not meaning to be rude or thoughtless.
1.  How do I contact "Scotland's People"?
2.  Right now I'm thinking my John McLeod was born 2/11/1853 in Dyke.  Info on Ancestry.com says his father Donald McLeod and mother Rebeckah Ross.  There must be an original birth record.  Where could I find it?
3.  The 1861 census of Forres that lists Christina Ross, Rebekah Ross, and John McLeod as a nephew of Christina Ross says the two ladies (I assume they are sisters) were born in Nairn, Nairnshire.  Christina 44 would have been born abt 1817 and Rebeckah 31 about 1830.  I assume this Rebeckah is John's mother and Christina is his aunt.  Where might we find who Christina and Rebeckah's parents are?
4.  Honestly, Charles, you put together four generations of that I took years to put together...plus making a trip with my wife and her sisters to Rafford to search for members of the Ross family.  The John McLeod we are looking for his my wife's grandfather.  and, her father is the Alexander John McLeod born in 1879.  I need to have clarified information you mentioned  concerning the 1851 census of Dyke area and the McLeod's and Ross's in the area.  I'm thinking Rebeckah and Donald, John's parents were never married.
5.  I also think perhaps there is a connection with John Bain and the Ross family...and that John McLeod is their grandson.  But how?
6.  And last!  Can anybody find a John McLeod in or around The Crook, in the Parish of Alves in the 1881 census?  That is just two years after he gave that area as his home when they registered the birth of their son, my father-in-law.

Sorry, this is so long...but, I do appreciate you all for your help.  Claude

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 4:13 PM aberloursearch via groups.io <aberloursearch=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi,

You could try contacting the local heritage centre at Grant lodge in Elgin, they have copies of the poor law records for the areas you are interested in. If your John MacLeod born 1854 or 1855 in Dyke was illegitimate there may be records of the mother applying for poor relief from the parish which may contain the name of his father and almost certainly the name of his mother.

Hope this may help with your research.

Regards

Ray 

-----Original Message-----
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jul 1, 2020 11:24 am
Subject: Re: [ScotGen] 40 years looking for parents of John McLeod, b. 1854 or 1855 in Dyke, Elginshire

Have you tried Scotland's People???

Posted your Gedcom on Wikitree?

Regards,

Jim Walker Sr.

Instagram - @scotland7Jimw

Alba Gu Bràth 
God Bless America 

Jim R. Walker Special Featured Speaker: 
Stanford Pulmonary Artery Reconstruction and Right Ventricle Rehabilitation Symposium at the Li Ka Shing Center for Learning and Knowledge - Stanford University School of Medicine. (Video)

Audrey Rose Sings our National Anthem - Levis Stadium Oct 2 2016 - 70,000+ standing room only.

Audrey Rose Walker (Blind (no eyeballs) and severe heart disease (Tetrology of Fallot) & more conditions - 
 Critical Life Needs  GoFundMe  account address:

49ersWEBZONE featured writer Al Sacco presents "Audrey Rose's Courageous Story"!

Our (then) 12 month old daughter - completely blind - sings 7 songs!!!

Jim - Comcast Television Interview - Scottish Highland Games Heavy Athletics

All Recipients of correspondence from Jim R. or Audrey Rose Walker
 The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. This message may be an attorney-client communication and/or work product and as such is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.  

On Tuesday, June 30, 2020, 06:23:37 PM PDT, Claude Hanson <claudehanson@...> wrote:

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Join Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.