Re: 40 years looking for parents of John McLeod, b. 1854 or 1855 in Dyke, Elginshire

Goldie & Lido Doratti

My advice would also be to go to Scotland’s People.  After 1855 all marriages and births were supposed to be registered.  You could get his birth registration, and also check some of the census records.  Here in Canada it costs about $13 for 5 queries, so make them count.  Figure out what you need to find the info you want and then go and try it. 
If you know for sure he is born 1879, then that’s not him on the 1871 census.  I  would try the 1881 and see what I could find.  Possibly he is illegitimate which is why you are having such a hard time finding him.  Just now here in Canada the Mormon Church Family History Rooms are closed, but if you go there you can see the film for yourself and see who the witnesses were.  Not all witnesses were given, sometimes a child was baptised ‘before the congregation’.......but if they are given it adds sometimes, some relatives to the parents which is of great help.  But try SP and see what you get.  Good luck, Goldie

Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 6:06 PM
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Subject: [ScotGen] 40 years looking for parents of John McLeod, b. 1854 or 1855 in Dyke, Elginshire

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Join Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.