Re: 40 years looking for parents of John McLeod, b. 1854 or 1855 in Dyke, Elginshire

Chas Houston <cmcfhouston@...>

Hi,

Had a look for you, to me it looks most likely John McLeod born 1853/4 at Dyke is the son of John McLeod aged 22 on the 1851 Census and who was working with his brother James 20 at Feddan farm Dyke. The mother would be Rebecca Ross born about 1819 at Nigg, Ross & C. ( sometimes Nairn on censuses) the sister of Donald and Christina Ross who all farmed at Sneb or Snab, Dyke in 1851. Their mother was a Christian MUNRO? born abt 1776 Ross and C.

John and James McLeod were born at Kirkhill, Inverness according to the 1851 Census.

A bit less likely, but the John BAIN b 1793 Rafford and his wife Isabell MASSON b 1795 Rafford could be the grandparents of  the John McLEAN b 1853 who was with them on the 1871 Census  as it appears their daughter Mary BAIN had twin children by a David ROSS - Christina and Isabella ROSS who were born & died 1865 Forres. Given the children's name could be  the David Ross was son of the Christina Ross b abt 1815 Nigg, sister to Rebecca Ross.

Regards

Charles

======================
POSSIBLE ONLY

First Generation

1.  Alexander ROSS was born in 1790 in Nigg, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland. In Apr 1881 he was a Pauper living with daughter Isabella in Corhall, Rafford.

Alexander ROSS had the following children:

+2    i.    John ROSS, born 1811, Moy / Nigg, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland.
    3    ii.    Isabella ROSS was born in 1822 in Nigg, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland.

Second Generation

2.  John ROSS (Alexander-1) was born in 1811 in Moy / Nigg, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland. In Apr 1851 he was an Agric Lab in Brochloch, Rafford. In Apr 1881 he was a Gen Labourer in Corhall, Rafford. John was a Labourer in Woodside Marcassie, Rafford.

Elizabeth MCKILLICAN was born in 1815 in Croy, Nairn, Scotland. She died in 1907 at the age of 92 in Rafford, by Forres, Moray, Scotland.

John ROSS and Elizabeth MCKILLICAN had the following children:

+4    i.    Margaret ROSS, born abt 24 Mar 1840, Kinloss, Moray, Scotland.
    5    ii.    Helen ROSS was born about 25 Jun 1842 in Kinloss, Moray, Scotland.
    6    iii.    Jane M ROSS was born about 6 Sep 1845 in Forres, Moray, Scotland. She died before Apr 1851 at the age of 5.
    7    iv.    Alexander ROSS was born about 8 Nov 1849 in Rafford, by Forres, Moray, Scotland.
    8    v.    Mary Anne Paul ROSS was born about 13 May 1852 in Rafford, by Forres, Moray, Scotland. She died in 1942 at the age of 90 in Forres, Moray, Scotland.
    +9    vi.    Agnes McIntosh ROSS, born 1856, Rafford, by Forres, Moray, Scotland; died 1939, Nairn, Nairn, Scotland.
    10    vii.    Hughina ROSS was born in 1859 in Rafford, by Forres, Moray, Scotland. In Apr 1881 she was a General Servant in Middlebank Farm, Errol, Perth.

Third Generation

4.  Margaret ROSS (John-2, Alexander-1) was born about 24 Mar 1840 in Kinloss, Moray, Scotland.

Margaret ROSS had the following child:

11    i.    William "or Murray" ROSS was born on 15 Jun 1867 in Leith,  Edinburgh, Scotland.

9.  Agnes McIntosh ROSS (John-2, Alexander-1) was born in 1856 in Rafford, by Forres, Moray, Scotland. She died in 1939 at the age of 83 in Nairn, Nairn, Scotland.

In Apr 1851 John MCLEOD, son of John MCLEOD and Rebecca ROSS, was a Farm Servant in Feddan, Dyke, Moray. He was born in 1853 in Dyke, Moray, Scotland.

John MCLEOD and Agnes McIntosh ROSS had the following child:

12    i.    Alexander MCLEOD was born in 1879 in Rafford, by Forres, Moray, Scotland.

--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

Join Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.