Re: understanding ages in 1841 census

JANET MORGAN

Thank you Ken. He was actually listed as 35. Sorry for that so it should hold true here then. Trying to narrow his parents down. I think he was Ayrshire and was married there in Kilwinning but most children were born in Renfrew.

Janet Morgan

On Jun 1, 2020, at 7:17 PM, Ken Harrison <kenharrison43@...> wrote:

If he was 39, he “should” have been shown as 35.  But application was very inconsistent.
If it shows 39, then it is highly probable that in the Spring of 1841 he claimed to be 39, and so born in the last 8 months of 1801 or the first 4 of 1802.

Ken iPad

On Jun 1, 2020, at 4:11 PM, JANET MORGAN via groups.io <Jmorgan441@...> wrote:

I believe that the ages for adults were rounded down in the 1841 census. Is this correct? I am searching for the parents of my Allan/Alan Bowie who shows up in Campbell St Johnstone, Renfrewshire as 39 years old. If he was born in the latter part of the year 1801, December,  would he still show up as 39?
This parentage has been a stumbling block for years.
Thank you for any suggestions.
Janet Bowie Morgan