Re: McKays in Moray

Goldie & Lido Doratti

MC or MAC....makes no difference .......times changed, and it has nothing at all to do with Religion, or being Canadian or American. It’s about having an ‘open’ mind.  People weren’t used to having their names written down, and whoever asked someone’s name wrote it the way they thought it should be.  On the grand scale of things, spelling was not important THEN.  When you are doing research, you are the person who needs to think ‘outside the box’.  Things THEN were not the way they are now.  This is a good lesson for anyone starting out doing genealogy..... Goldie

From: jwmmackay@...
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2020 6:25 PM
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ScotGen] McKays in Moray

We’re going to need more credits. That’s a Jaws joke, which may not translate outside the US.

Thank you both so much. The inclusion of the Mackay spelling is really opening things up. I appear to have found the family in the previously missing 1871, 1881, and 1891 Censuses.

I knew that the spelling of one’s name wasn’t always consistent back then, but in my digging it was always McKay up to 1861. It seems there was a conscious decision to change it after that: I’m seeing death certificate registrants signing it like that and not going back to the former way (it wasn’t just a Census taker’s assumption).

Ironically, it was the McKay spelling that helped me first find my 2nd great grandfather years ago: I was told that looking for a John Mackay of interminate age of no known parentage and no known Scottish locality would have been much more challenging; the McKay spelling really narrowed things down.

Bear in mind, I am John Mackay. It was my 2nd g gf’s Canadian marriage record that said it was once McKay. This actually made sense to me: In the 1880’s the US was quite anti-Catholic; he would have changed it when he emigrated to NY - to look like what he was, a Scottish Protestant.

So far, it looks like all of the work I did years ago was actually correct - my initial inquiry regarding whether I had in fact found my 4th great g parents, and whether I was indeed tied to the Cobban branch documented back to the 1700s. It remains to be seen whether I can reach back further.

Maybe expect some small follow-up questions. For now I have a lot to chew on. Such a great quarantine project!

Regards,

John