Re: Ewan Mackay/McKay-Boggierow death

Goldie & Lido Doratti

You need to get on to family search.org or to Scotland’s People and you will find the info you are looking for.  It’s called a Mort Cloth and not all, but most, churches had 2 of them; one was more expensive to rent than the other one.  They were used to cover the coffin or body from the kirk to the graveyard.  They were ‘rented’ and had to be returned to the Kirk (church).  Some of the old Parish Record books have pages of “Mort Cloth Rentals”.....because the church was required to keep an account of income and expenditures.  I have been told that they shouldn’t be in the Parish Record books of Births and Marriages, so some have them, some don’t, and they are evasive.  For example you might find a record saying “Joe Smith’s wife..10 “.........so if you know who Joe Smith’s wife is you would be safe to ‘assume’ she died sometimes before he paid for the Mort Cloth rental, and then could ‘assume’ she had died.  If the death is after 1855 when registration became mandatory in Scotland you can get the death registration from Scotland’s People site.  In 1841 Scotland did the first census, and that may be helpful as well.  Try these.........good luck, Goldie

From: Josephine Conray
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2020 7:50 PM
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ScotGen] Ewan Mackay/McKay-Boggierow death

Hi Jo

There are a few Family trees on Ancestry for Ewan Mackay but about four have the following information

Ewan Mackay Born 1791 Scotland and Died 21 Dec 1842 in Boggierow, Fordyce Scot. Patents William? MacKay/ McKay? And Ann? Gray?

Margaret Russell 23 Jan 1798 and Died 23 Jan 1864 Fordyce Village, Scot.

Ewan & Margaret had 10 children

I will keep looking so I hope this helps

Josephine

Bris, Aust.