Re: Maiden Name or Married Name

Janet Farmer

I was told many years ago that a married woman went by her married name and after her husband's death she continued using his name for one year then reverted to using her maiden name e.g.  Catherine Caskey (marriage recorded but no death and no mention on any census)was shown on the 1841 census of Islay; on the 1851 Census she was shown as Catherine Smith (her maiden name). I have always assumed that this was the first year after his death - or maybe not:)-

I also know that just because a name is on a stone in the cemetery does not mean that person is buried there.  My grandmother put her daughter's name (married name) on the family stone, but she is not buried there.  My gg grandmother's name is on a stone but there is no record of her having died even although she died after civil registration.  I checked this with Scotlandspeople and they confirmed they have no record.

Janet

Avast logo