Re: McLeay 1830s

Eliz Cook

Thank you !
Your input puts Farquhar death at 1838 which is a help, better than my between 1836 and 1841.
McLeay is sometimes spelt McClay, or Macleay.
Our family story that Farquhar ,the son, and Alexander went to America is still uncorroborated,
Eliz

On 22 Mar 2020, at 1:28 am, Josephine Conray <javc@...> wrote:

Hi Elizabeth

I just did a Google search there are a few records on there for a Farquhar McLeay and I  found this message board and the person is Brett Prentice posted 26 Dec 2014. He has Ann Campbell & Ann McLver as the same person, if that is right that would sort out the two families.

I am looking for anyone who may be researching Farquhar McLeay who married Ann Campbell McIver in August 1820 in Urral, Ross &amp; Cromarty. They had the following children:- Murdoch, Alexander, Murdoch, Farquhar, Margaret, Ann & amp; Colin. Margaret McLeay married Finlay Fraser in 1855 in Kilmorack, Inverness and remained in Scotland. Story goes Farquhar McLeay (father and husband) died at the age of 42 and his widow Ann left for Australia with several children going with her. If you feel you have any information I would love to hear from you

I also read somewhere that the family name could be McLea and later change to McLeay.

I have looked at Ann McLeay shipping record so that is right.

Cheer

Josephine

From: Josephine Conray

Hi Elizabeth

All the family trees on Ancestry have Farquhar McLeay death as 1838 in Scotland but with no place. I have search Scotland people and cannot find a death for Farquhar McLeay either side of that date by 10 years.

There seems to be a couple of families from around the same area that could be connected.

This one is Farquhar McLeay and Ann Mclver who had the following

Children,

Murdock Baptism 7/10/1822 in Urray,

Alexander Baptism 21/9/1824 in Urray,

Farquhar Baptism 21/9/1824, in Urray

Farquhar Baptism 14/4/1827, Urray

Your family is Farquhar McLeay and Ann Campbell born c1811 Ardacky  Kilmorack, Inverness, Scot.

Children:

Margaret Baptism 15 March 1832 Kilmorack, Inverness, Scotland Film/no 990709

Ann Baptism 28 April 1835 Kilmorack as above

Colin Baptism 8 Dec 1836 Kilmorack same as above.

I found a Margaret McLennan married to a Simon Fraser 1870 but I did find a Margaret McLeay married to a Finlay Fraser in 1855 in Kilmorack.

Also found a Farquhar McLeay in NSW Police a Probationary Constables 1 Nov 1884 and 1 Feb 1885 police officer shield no 4785. He might be something to do with your family.

Hope this helps