Re: Cowan and Scott in Selkirkshire, Scotland

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 11:48 PM Valorie Zimmerman via Groups.Io <valorie.zimmerman=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
In 1832, my direct-line Cowan ancestors left Selkirkshire, Scotlan for Lower Canada (now Ontario, Canada). Walter Cowan born 19 August 1809, Yarrow Feus, Selkirkshire.

He married 1. Jean 'Jennie' Scott 'of Harden' on 24 February 1805, Yarrow, Selkirkshire. Jean Scott was born 1780-1790 possibly in Harden, Roxburghshire. She could have been the daughter of George Scott,  M2TL-5VG on FamilySearch. I'll have to look at the baptism record in my local Family History Center to see if there is more in the image than just two names.

They had three sons, one of whom died a few months after birth:

A. James Scott Cowan (proven by DNA)
Born 19 August 1809 • Yarrow Feus, Selkirkshire, Scotland
Died 29 September 1893 • Galt, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

B. Andrew Cowan
Born 25 January 1814 • Yarrow, Selkirkshire, Scotland
Died 5 April 1814 • Yarrow, Selkirkshire, Scotland

C. Walter Scott Cowan my 2nd great-grandfather
Born 31 October 1817 • Yarrow Feus, Selkirkshire, Scotland
Died 20 June 1886 • Wellington, Ontario, Canada

James came first to Canada to find land for the family before they came in 1832.

Here is James with his family in 1851:

Walter Cowan married again, presumably after Jennie's death, sometime between Walter Scott's birth and the new marriage on 4 November 1821 in Yarrow, Selkirkshire, Scotland

2. Agnes Willison
Born  ~1800 • Scotland
Died 1853 in Galt, Waterloo, Upper Canada, now Ontario, Canada (only her headstone established that date)

Walter and Agnes had two children in Yarrow Feus, William and Jane Scott. Jane died in Ontario unmarried. I have no identified DNA matches through William's line - yet. I've not built it all the way down yet.

As you can see, I have more work to do on this family, especially in the Scottish records. If you have any connection to the family, please speak up! I love collaborating with cousins.

Valorie - Gedmatch M186808, SQ780327C1

PS: I forgot to say that this Cowan line is linked with Y-DNA too:  https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/cowan thanks to my dear departed papa.