Re: illigitmacy

Carolyn Perkes <cperkes@...>

There is an explanation of "irregular" marriages (marriages by declaration) here:

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/article/irregular-marriage-scotland

Carolyn

On 25/02/20 16:24, Lauraine Syrnick <lauraine.syrnick@...> wrote:
Am not sure about this, but was told by a Scottish lady that “hand fasting” was popular in Scotland.  Apparently that is two people could say they were married (unsure if witnesses were required) and usually until a baby was to be born shortly did not go through the formal process of marrying before a minister.  Unsure how the church dealt with this either??  A church sanctioned marriage costed money and many people did not have the funds.  If this is a myth, please let me know.

Lauraine