Re: Burial in Glasgow 1840 - where?

Rosemary

Thank you Fiona and 'rjpaton' for your replies.

I'm inclined to think he was buried at Glasgow Necropolis although the burial register is not at all clear. I still don't understand why two different records give his burial in apparently different places - 'St. Mary's' and Glasgow High Church. And he won't have had a memorial stone to mark his parting.

Rosemary
Northumberland, UK

On 06/02/2020 10:33, Rosemary wrote:
I am trying to work out exactly where someone was buried in Glasgow in 1840.
I have the image from ScotlandsPeople [1]
 Interments from the Royal Infirmary during May 1840
 Date of registration of death: April 14 [probably May - too many dittos]
 Date of burial: 15
 Murdoch MCKINLAY, porter
 Residence: Stertwill.. [? Stockwell Street]
 Undertakers: Simpson
 Where buried -
 - in the lair of Common Ground
 - churchyard: St. Mary
 Disease: fever
 Aged 45
Lair = (Scots): A burial space reserved in a graveyard.
There were 25 people on this page buried in common ground at St. Mary's
So, was he buried in common ground in the churchyard of St. Mary's?
And if so, which church is it?
From what I've managed to find so far there is a St. Mary's church but it's Roman Catholic, not Church of Scotland and it wasn't opened until 1842.
But I have just found on FindMyPast a record of his burial at Glasgow High Church, Glasgow [2]
Is Glasgow High Church, Glasgow Cathedral? There was a large burial ground there which opened in 1833. [3]
Thank you reading this far,
Rosemary
Northumberland, UK
[1] Old Parish Registers Deaths 644/1 550 236 Glasgow, page 236
[2] https://www.findmypast.com/transcript?id=GBPRS%2FGLASGOW%2FBUR%2F172764
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_Necropolis