Codes

Janet Miller

Hi
I do not use codes and struggle some times to think what they are and could have written them many times by the time I look  them up and get them correct . Handy if one has a small data base , but my Scots relatives all 40,000 come from all over and I would rather remember them than fill my head with codes. Like anything of course one can get used to it if one has to, but they are surely not the best in a data base where descendants who are not genealogists will be looking or when a print out is sent. The uninitiated will struggle  no end  and of course a touch typist will not bother and an unrecognised code will just be a humbug.
What fun this genealogy is.
Cheers
Janet