Re: Use of codes

Jocelyn Gould

Hello Lauraine - thanks for your comment. To answer your question - ROC is the code for Ross and Cromarty, as I stated in my initial suggestion, just to use an example.  Some more examples - INV = Inverness, BAN = Banff, MOR = Moray etc.  They're fairly self explanatory really.  By the way, they are available in many other locations and a printed page comes in handy.

How about if those who are used to using them, continue to do so and those not familiar, not use them, then the reader can decide whether to read the post or not.

Jocelyn

On 5/02/2020 7:27 pm, Edie McArthur wrote:
HI,
I actually found the list of codes to be handy.  I printed them all out and used one this morning  when I posted about the whereabouts of any old Cathcart Farmsc1850's in Renfrewshire. RFW.  It shorted the subject heading for me.  To each his own I guess.

Edie McArthur

------ Original Message ------
To: Scots@scotland-genealogy.groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, 4 Feb, 2020 At 6:40 PM
Subject: [ScotGen] Use of codes

Definitely agree with Lindsay.  Such codes are not good for all of us. Yes, maybe we should use them, but have no idea what’s ROC means.  Will have to look it up which is a real pain.
Lauraine (Smith) Syrnick - Canada

Join Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.