Re: Need names of some old Farms c1857 in Cathcart, Renfrewshire RFW, Sct

Fiona Turnbull

Edie
Have you looked at the links here https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/RFW/Cathcart - also check out the maps at the National Library of Scotland as many of the older maps have farms on them https://maps.nls.uk/
Access high-resolution zoomable images of over 200,000 maps of Scotland, England, Wales and beyond
maps.nls.uk

"CATHCART, parish, chiefly in Renfrewshire, but partly in Lanarkshire, and including parts of the southern suburbs of Glasgow. It has a post office of its own name, under Glasgow, and contains the Queen's Park, the town of Crosshill, the villages of New Cathcart, Old Cathcart, Crossmyloof, Langside, Camphill, Prospect Hill, Florida, Clarkston Toll, Hangingshaw, Millbridge, Netherlee, and part ...
www.genuki.org.uk
If I can help in some way let me know as I am based in Oban, Scotland

Fiona Turnbull

From: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io> on behalf of Edie McArthur <eamca1944@...>
Sent: 05 February 2020 10:21
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ScotGen] Need names of some old Farms c1857 in Cathcart, Renfrewshire RFW, Sct

Thankyou Josephine.  I have three trees up for McArthur.  the main one is McARTHUR/STEVENSON etc Laing/WEBBER etc Family Tree they had 9 children all born in the Upper Nile area, near Evandale.  Isabella 1858 (conceived in Scotland), Margaret, Mary, John, George, William (iur Line, Peter Duncan and Robert Russell McARTHUR.  the family arrived in Tasmania 31 March, 1857 on the Broomielaw. I have never found a photo of the ship and have always comeup withe the  Dock Brooielaw when goggling.  Beed to Quebec where she was built as well to see if they had any photos of her.  I saw the log book she was mentioned in but no photo.

I have done a bit of seach n the whereabouts of Cathcrt but havent found any farms as wyet. I did finda young fellow John  CUNNINGHAM aged 21 and single on the Broomie law lso from Cathcart and thought he may of been working with our Joh and put a post over AUS-TAsmania.rootsweb but to no avail. There was no reply for any cunnigham families who had this John in their family tree.  I though there was a town or farm name in front of Cathcart for his entry, but cannot seem to find where I saw it now. It would be a starting point for me to find the little village  or farm near Cathcart where John was working I knw Cathcart is only about  2miles by 4 miles.

Another thing is I was in touch with a lady who lives overseas whose family came fromBarrhead very close to Cambuslang. Her family came out to Sydney and were into the Shipping business.  she did give me her families and there were a few Thomas which we do not have in our family.andshe isnt planing to having any DNA tested I think only her father and a little baby are the males and the father is in a nursing home, so close but so far.

Thanks for all of the help given so far.
regards
Edie McArthur

------ Original Message ------
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, 5 Feb, 2020 At 2:27 PM
Subject: Re: [ScotGen] Need names of some old Farms c1857 in Cathcart, Renfrewshire RFW, Sct

Hi

Just Google and found this site. https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16932  Also there are about 53 Family Tree on Ancestry for John & Isabella, and both of them died in Parersonia, Tasmania, Australia and had 14 childrem

Cheers

Josephine

Qld Aust

From: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io [mailto:Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io] On Behalf Of Edie McArthur
Sent: Wednesday, 5 February 2020 7:12 AM
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Subject: [ScotGen] Need names of some old Farms c1857 in Cathcart, Renfrewshire RFW, Sct

Hi,
Does anyone have a list or at least one  farm in Cathart, Renfrewshire area please. It ould  needed to be going back at least 1956.  I want to search in that area for our John McArthur born 1828 someplace in Scotland , but was living and working as a Farm Servant at Cathcart prior to his and Isabella Stevensons marriage that took place at Cambuslang, Lanarkshire 2 December 1856.  Their banns were read at Cathcart.  I would like to do a bit of research i that area.  Also a good reseachers name would be useful as well for that area please, in case I dont have any luck myself.

Thank you in advance for any help.
--
eamca57

--
eamca57

Join Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.