Topics

WILLIAM, DONALD, DUNCAN MORRISON

PAUL MACK

Folks, this is my first post, so I hope I am doing it right.
My current information about my wife's Morrison family is WILLIAM MORRISON (b. 1788,;d. 9 May 1805); DONALD (b. 1827, Upper Killeyan, Oa, Islay; d. 24 Dec. 1902 Strabane, Ontario); DUNCAN (b. 3 Mar 1883; d. 29 Mar. 1941). Duncan's son, WILLIAM DOUGLAS MORRISON, is my (deceased) father-in-law.
Naturally, I would appreciate any further information - or correction of errors.
sincerely, 
Paul D. Mack

Sue Visser

Hello Paul.  I’m not related.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting,
Sue Visser (up the road in Guelph and been through Strabane many times)

A possibility from the 1841 Islay census transcriptions (so if this looks like your family, it’s wise to check out the original records)

Oa 69 3 Upper Killean William Morrison Male 50 Farmer ARY
Oa 69 3 Upper Killean Margaret Morrison Female 40
ARY
Oa 69 3 Upper Killean Robert Morrison Male 22
ARY
Oa 69 3 Upper Killean Catherine Morrison Female 18
ARY
Oa 69 3 Upper Killean Donald Morrison Male 12
ARY
Oa 69 3 Upper Killean Bell Morrison Female 8
ARY
Oa 69 3 Upper Killean Margaret Morrison Female 6
ARY
Oa 69 3 Upper Killean John Morrison Male 4
ARY
Oa 69 3 Upper Killean Jane Morrison Female 2
ARY
Oa 69 3 Upper Killean N.K. Morrison Female 1 Wk
ARY

The same family in 1851 census:

Oa 16 6 Upper Killian William Morrison Male 62 Head Farmer Oa
Oa 16 6 Upper Killian Peggy Morrison Female 56 Wife
Oa
Oa 16 6 Upper Killian Donald Morrison Male 21 Son
Oa
Oa 16 6 Upper Killian Bell Morrison Female 19 Daughter
Oa
Oa 16 6 Upper Killian Peggy Morrison Female 17 Daughter
Oa
Oa 16 6 Upper Killian John Morrison Male 15 Son Scholar Oa
Oa 16 6 Upper Killian Jean Morrison Female 13 Daughter Scholar Oa
Oa 16 6 Upper Killian William Morrison Male 9 Son Scholar Oa
Oa 16 6 Upper Killian Katherine Morrison Female 3 Grand Daughter
Oa
Oa 17 6 Upper Killian Robert Morrison Male 32 Head Farm Servant Oa
Oa 17 6 Upper Killian Margaret Morrison Female 36 Wife
Kilchoman
Oa 17 6 Upper Killian Edward Morrison Male 3 Son
Oa

Sent: Monday, February 22, 2021 8:30 PM
To: Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Subject: [Islay] WILLIAM, DONALD, DUNCAN MORRISON

My current information about my wife's Morrison family is WILLIAM MORRISON (b. 1788,;d. 9 May 1805); DONALD (b. 1827, Upper Killeyan, Oa, Islay; d. 24 Dec. 1902 Strabane, Ontario); DUNCAN (b. 3 Mar 1883; d. 29 Mar. 1941). Duncan's son, WILLIAM DOUGLAS MORRISON, is my (deceased) father-in-law.
Naturally, I would appreciate any further information - or correction of errors.
sincerely,
Paul D. Mack

Ken Harrison

Paul,

I have a direct hit with your family.

Let me ask whether the maiden surname of your mother-in-law was Frid, and of her mother-in-law was Ferrier.  And of course you would know a Jacquline.

If so, I suggest that you contact me off-List and we can fill in details for each other.  If you can’t see my address on the listing, it is kenharrison43ATshaw.ca.

Your family was originally named McVoran and most (but not all) of them “Anglicised” the name in the early 1800s to Morrison.

I have obtained most of the information from other relatives in Ontario and can put you in touch with them, in case you are not already in contact.  I am also probably connected with the family, but have not been able to find documentation of the connection between them and my 3xGGmother, Grace McVoran (Morrison), who I suspect may have been a sister of your William 1788.

I have info on the parents of William, plus another sister.

Ken Harrison

North Vancouver, BC

From: Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io> On Behalf Of maxlaw@...
Sent: February 22, 2021 5:30 PM

sincerely, 
Paul D. Mack

PAUL MACK

Thanks so much.

This is very exciting!

My wife is Jacqueline (Morrison).

I will definitely be in contact – hopefully, tonight!

From: Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ken Harrison
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 1:27 AM
Subject: Re: [Islay] WILLIAM, DONALD, DUNCAN MORRISON

Paul,

I have a direct hit with your family.

Let me ask whether the maiden surname of your mother-in-law was Frid, and of her mother-in-law was Ferrier.  And of course you would know a Jacquline.

If so, I suggest that you contact me off-List and we can fill in details for each other.  If you can’t see my address on the listing, it is kenharrison43ATshaw.ca.

Your family was originally named McVoran and most (but not all) of them “Anglicised” the name in the early 1800s to Morrison.

I have obtained most of the information from other relatives in Ontario and can put you in touch with them, in case you are not already in contact.  I am also probably connected with the family, but have not been able to find documentation of the connection between them and my 3xGGmother, Grace McVoran (Morrison), who I suspect may have been a sister of your William 1788.

I have info on the parents of William, plus another sister.

Ken Harrison

North Vancouver, BC

From: Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io> On Behalf Of maxlaw@...
Sent: February 22, 2021 5:30 PM

sincerely, 
Paul D. Mack

PAUL MACK

Thank you – this is marvellous!

From: Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sue Visser
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 12:25 AM

Hello Paul.  I’m not related.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting,

Sue Visser (up the road in Guelph and been through Strabane many times)

A possibility from the 1841 Islay census transcriptions (so if this looks like your family, it’s wise to check out the original records)

Oa

Upper Killean

William

Morrison

Male

Farmer

ARY

Oa

Upper Killean

Margaret

Morrison

Female

ARY

Oa

Upper Killean

Robert

Morrison

Male

ARY

Oa

Upper Killean

Catherine

Morrison

Female

ARY

Oa

Upper Killean

Donald

Morrison

Male

ARY

Oa

Upper Killean

Bell

Morrison

Female

ARY

Oa

Upper Killean

Margaret

Morrison

Female

ARY

Oa

Upper Killean

John

Morrison

Male

ARY

Oa

Upper Killean

Jane

Morrison

Female

ARY

Oa

Upper Killean

N.K.

Morrison

Female

1 Wk

ARY

The same family in 1851 census:

Oa

Upper Killian

William

Morrison

Male

Head

Farmer

Oa

Oa

Upper Killian

Peggy

Morrison

Female

Wife

Oa

Oa

Upper Killian

Donald

Morrison

Male

Son

Oa

Oa

Upper Killian

Bell

Morrison

Female

Daughter

Oa

Oa

Upper Killian

Peggy

Morrison

Female

Daughter

Oa

Oa

Upper Killian

John

Morrison

Male

Son

Scholar

Oa

Oa

Upper Killian

Jean

Morrison

Female

Daughter

Scholar

Oa

Oa

Upper Killian

William

Morrison

Male

Son

Scholar

Oa

Oa

Upper Killian

Katherine

Morrison

Female

Grand Daughter

Oa

Oa

Upper Killian

Robert

Morrison

Male

Head

Farm Servant

Oa

Oa

Upper Killian

Margaret

Morrison

Female

Wife

Kilchoman

Oa

Upper Killian

Edward

Morrison

Male

Son

Oa

Sent: Monday, February 22, 2021 8:30 PM

sincerely,
Paul D. Mack

Donald Young

Hi Ken;

i don't think I posted this already. You had stated that the McVorran name was changed to Morrison.  I have been reviewing the family tree.  I have a Neil Morrison whose spouse was Mary Cameron 1793 - 1865.  I don't have any dates for Neil. They came from Kildalton to Onatrio.   They may have come with her brother Hugh and his family in 1847.  Do you recognize these names?

Donald Young

Ken Harrison

Hi Donald,

The closest I have is doubtful, and comes to me from another researcher.

I have a Neil Morrison, b. before 1780, seen in 1841, apparently a widower, aged “60”, at Stremnishmore, with son Angus 18 and probable other children Bel 20 and John 16.

I have no further info on any of them other than Angus, and do not have a name for Neil’s wife.

Angus *may* have married 1848 in Oa to Mary Macarthur, and was seen in 1881 in Oro Twp, Ontario.

Ken

From: Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io> On Behalf Of Donald Young
Sent: April 3, 2021 7:09 PM

Hi Ken;

i don't think I posted this already. You had stated that the McVorran name was changed to Morrison.  I have been reviewing the family tree.  I have a Neil Morrison whose spouse was Mary Cameron 1793 - 1865.  I don't have any dates for Neil. They came from Kildalton to Onatrio.   They may have come with her brother Hugh and his family in 1847.  Do you recognize these names?

Donald Young