Topics

Valuation Rolls

Glynn Currie

Thanks to John Klemplen's help I was able to find the valuation rolls for my great grandfather, Archibald McDiarmid, in Bowmore, Islay. It affirms that he lived on Shore Street which is the street mentioned on my Grandmother's birth certificate. If anyone is willing, I would like a lesson on reading the roll. Some things I can guess, but guessing is not as good as learning from a knowledgeable person. If anyone is willing to take the time I would appreciate hearing what you have to say about this particular document.
Thanks,
Glynn Currie

Thanks to John Klemplen's help I was able to find the valuation rolls for my great grandfather, Archibald McDiarmid, in Bowmore, Islay.

tsinclair@...

Hello Glynn,
If it helps at all - in the 1828 Black Book (List of Tenants on the Estate of Islay), I see a listing for "Neil McDearmid's heirs" in Bowmore.  No specific address back then.
I typed up this list  back in 2000 (which is what John referred to in aprevious email), but I also still have a photocopy of the original.
Toni

Glynn Currie

Thanks Toni.

Sent from my Galaxy