Topics

suggestion for a new list

Anne Farrar

There is a spot for storing databases. Perhaps someone who is good with excel could create a new spreadsheet and everyone could enter their own name, e-mail and research interests on that sheet. It would then be available to everyone and no one would have to take on the huge task of creating a list of everyone

Thanks, Anne

PS I could do it but I don't have any special skills with excel

Embleton House

I will talk to my office smart daughter and daughter in law and see what I can come up with

Faith

Embleton House B&B

Licence # 009-002809

5203 52 Street

Yellowknife, NT.

Canada, X1A 1T8

Ph: 1-867-873-2892 Ext: 0

Ph: Toll free in North America: 1-888-909-5203

Fax: 1-867-873-4927

From: Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io> On Behalf Of Anne Farrar
Sent: January 3, 2021 9:27 AM
To: Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Subject: [Islay] suggestion for a new list

There is a spot for storing databases. Perhaps someone who is good with excel could create a new spreadsheet and everyone could enter their own name, e-mail and research interests on that sheet. It would then be available to everyone and no one would have to take on the huge task of creating a list of everyone

Thanks, Anne

M. Diane Rogers

OK. Faith. Thanks.
She can be in touch with me about a new list. 
In the meantime, I will take a look at the website in the next few days and enquire about adding it. 
However, bear in mind that Rootsweb seems much in disarray again at the moment. 
Diane 
M Diane Rogers

To: "Islay" <Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, January 3, 2021 10:56:46 AM
Subject: Re: [Islay] suggestion for a new list

I will talk to my office smart daughter and daughter in law and see what I can come up with

Faith

Embleton House B&B

Licence # 009-002809

5203 52 Street

Yellowknife, NT.

Canada, X1A 1T8

From: Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io> On Behalf Of Anne Farrar

Thanks, Anne

Embleton House

What information do you wish to collect is my first question I will talk to them today about it.

Embleton House B&B

Licence # 009-002809

5203 52 Street

Yellowknife, NT.

Canada, X1A 1T8

From: Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io> On Behalf Of M. Diane Rogers
Sent: January 3, 2021 12:08 PM
To: Islay <Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io>

OK. Faith. Thanks.

She can be in touch with me about a new list. 

In the meantime, I will take a look at the website in the next few days and enquire about adding it. 

However, bear in mind that Rootsweb seems much in disarray again at the moment. 

Diane 

M Diane Rogers

To: "Islay" <Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, January 3, 2021 10:56:46 AM

Faith

Embleton House B&B

Licence # 009-002809

5203 52 Street

Yellowknife, NT.

Canada, X1A 1T8

Thanks, Anne

Russ McGillivray

You don't want anything to do with Rootsweb!
There is a Files folder right here in Islay@Scotland-Genealogy groups.io
All we need is to create a Google Docs spreadsheet with the same columns as the old Excel file, and allow people to enter their own information.

Russ

S a Bisset

That would be a really helpful idea.
Mary McIntyre NZ (Islay family McIntyre, Macdougal, Macgillivray, Macalister)

On 04 January 2021 at 11:59 Russ McGillivray <russmcgillivray@...> wrote:

You don't want anything to do with Rootsweb!
There is a Files folder right here in Islay@Scotland-Genealogy groups.io
All we need is to create a Google Docs spreadsheet with the same columns as the old Excel file, and allow people to enter their own information.

Russ

Anne Farrar

Hi, Anne again
My suggestion: Use the "database" (on left side of this screen) and use the same format as the "rootsweb" spreadsheet.

Allan Moore

I am a data scientist and business/artificial intelligence expert by trade. 

Just a cautionary warning - whatever list is created, it will have to be curated. Somebody will have to monitor and “clean up” the list. In the trade there is a saying (substitute your own version of ‘garbage’) “garbage in - garbage out”. Not everyone is tech savvy and most people do not read the instructions. Having a spreadsheet that is user editable without proper curating can be difficult to maintain and control. I think it would be better to have a fillable GUI (graphical user interface) that is relatively fool proof, may be the way to go, as it will fill the spread sheet and do its magic behind it. Also if you want you can make that same GUI also searchable, so entering your search information into the interface will return only results that are pertinent to your query. 

Just my 2c worth as I have battled with poor information for decades. 

Iain MacIntosh

Hi Allan
Are you offering your experience and expertise?  It would certainly solve the issues you have highlighted
Kindest regards

Iain MacIntosh

Iain 

On 4 Jan 2021, at 20:11, Allan Moore <agmoore21@...> wrote:

Just a cautionary warning - whatever list is created, it will have to be curated. Somebody will have to monitor and “clean up” the list. In the trade there is a saying (substitute your own version of ‘garbage’) “garbage in - garbage out”. Not everyone is tech savvy and most people do not read the instructions. Having a spreadsheet that is user editable without proper curating can be difficult to maintain and control. I think it would be better to have a fillable GUI (graphical user interface) that is relatively fool proof, may be the way to go, as it will fill the spread sheet and do its magic behind it. Also if you want you can make that same GUI also searchable, so entering your search information into the interface will return only results that are pertinent to your query. 

Allan Moore

Hi Ian

Let me look into it and see if I have any free cycles in the near future. I am always wary of taking on a project if I know I cannot give it 100%. 

I will look into it and get back to the group, either way, as soon as possible. 

On Jan 5, 2021, at 03:35, Iain MacIntosh <iainmacintosh75@...> wrote:

Hi Allan
Are you offering your experience and expertise?  It would certainly solve the issues you have highlighted
Kindest regards

Iain MacIntosh

Iain 

Iain MacIntosh

Thanks for your response.  Most folk on the original list found the spreadsheet data useful for identifying and communicating with others on the list who were researching their family names.  

Iain 

Embleton House

This makes perfect sense to me.

Faith

Embleton House B&B

Licence # 009-002809

5203 52 Street

Yellowknife, NT.

Canada, X1A 1T8

From: Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io> On Behalf Of Allan Moore
Sent: January 5, 2021 6:26 AM
To: Islay@scotland-genealogy.groups.io

Hi Ian

Let me look into it and see if I have any free cycles in the near future. I am always wary of taking on a project if I know I cannot give it 100%. 

I will look into it and get back to the group, either way, as soon as possible. 

On Jan 5, 2021, at 03:35, Iain MacIntosh <iainmacintosh75@...> wrote:

Hi Allan

Kindest regards

Iain MacIntosh

Iain