Topics

Russ McGilvray - McFadyens

Roger

Hi Russ.
Thought this might be of interest to you :
Inscription – Bowmore graveyard
In loving memory of Donald McFadyen Postmaster Bowmore who died 26th March 1899 aged 66 years his wife Euphemia Morrison who died 24th Jan. 1885 aged 55 years his father Angus McFadyen who died 8th July aged 60 years his mother Ann McGilvray who died 19th March  1874 aged 80 years his daughter Ann who died 7th Nov. 1962 aged 66 years

Regards Roger

Philip Hubsmith

Hi Roger,

Thank-you! some great information for my family tree - Angus and Ann are my GG Grandparents on my mothers side with Donald the Postmaster being the brother of my G Grandfather Hugh McFadyen. The new group has given me the push to get back researching!

Is there somewhere I can get more info for the graves at Bowmore (Bowmore new parish churchyard?) - grave list and location, Donald's does not seem to be listed in findagrave web site, I am contemplating a visit in spring or summer this year

I apologise if some questions are pretty 'basic', I am a bit of a novice at family research

Once again thank-you!

Phil Hubsmith, Erskine, Scotland
On 25/01/2020 09:44, Roger via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi Russ.
Thought this might be of interest to you :
Inscription – Bowmore graveyard
In loving memory of Donald McFadyen Postmaster Bowmore who died 26th March 1899 aged 66 years his wife Euphemia Morrison who died 24th Jan. 1885 aged 55 years his father Angus McFadyen who died 8th July aged 60 years his mother Ann McGilvray who died 19th March  1874 aged 80 years his daughter Ann who died 7th Nov. 1962 aged 66 years

Regards Roger

Roger

Hi Philip,
Its your luck day. My friend and I have read and recorded all Islay gravestones that are visible.  The last one we did was Bowmore which is still in use and therefore always changing
Let me know who you are looking for.  Also bear in mind I have images of all the stones too
Regards Roger

J LOCHRIDGE

Roger,
I wonder if you have Hugh Stevenson died October 1884 at Laggan on your list of gravestones?  When I visited Islay years ago I didn't realise that this cousin died in Islay
Any help is always appreciated
Johan

On Saturday, 25 January 2020, 13:14:26 GMT, Roger via Groups.Io <rogermcwee99@...> wrote:

Hi Philip,
Its your luck day. My friend and I have read and recorded all Islay gravestones that are visible.  The last one we did was Bowmore which is still in use and therefore always changing
Let me know who you are looking for.  Also bear in mind I have images of all the stones too
Regards Roger

Philip Hubsmith

Hi Roger,

OMG! If you dont mind and it is not too much trouble - immediate interest is the following: -

GG Grandparents:

Angus McFadyen 1834-8.7.1811? died age 60 and spouse Ann McGilvary 17.06.1794-19.03.1874 died aged 80: Married 18.01.1831

John Morrison B 1791 D 29.10.1857 aged 67 buried Kilarrow Churchyard and spouse Margaret McEwan B 1801

GGG Grandparents:

Parents of John Morrison: Hugh Morrison B 1775 and spouse Mary Morrison B 1786

Also: The previously mentioned Donald McFadyen, Postmaster and son of above Angus and Ann, B 1833 D 26.03.1899 aged 66 and buried at Bowmore graveyard

Getting into a bit of a fanckle with dates, my method of recording is not good!

Anyway, if you have any info or photos that would be great but do not spend more time on it that you can afford

On 25/01/2020 13:14, Roger via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi Philip,
Its your luck day. My friend and I have read and recorded all Islay gravestones that are visible.  The last one we did was Bowmore which is still in use and therefore always changing
Let me know who you are looking for.  Also bear in mind I have images of all the stones too
Regards Roger

Ken Harrison

Russ or Roger,

Would the Euphemia below be the d/o John (James) Morrison & Christian McFadyen, born 9 May, chr. 10 Aug 1834, Kilchoman?

The date of death of Angus is missing below.  Is it missing from the MI?

Ken Harrison

North Vancouver, Canada

Thought this might be of interest to you :

Inscription – Bowmore graveyard

In loving memory of Donald McFadyen Postmaster Bowmore who died 26th March 1899 aged 66 years his wife Euphemia Morrison who died 24th Jan. 1885 aged 55 years his father Angus McFadyen who died 8th July aged 60 years his mother Ann McGilvray who died 19th March  1874 aged 80 years his daughter Ann who died 7th Nov. 1962 aged 66 years

Regards Roger

_._,_._,_

Russ McGillivray

Roger,
Wow, a whole family tree that spans from 1795 to 1962!
We should all be so lucky.

Russ

Ellen Sager

Hi Roger, you indicate that you have read and recorded all gravestones on Islay.  I have this obituary of William McEachern/MacEachern.  When I was visiting Islay in 1990 I looked for a stone at the Kilchoman churchyard but couldn't find one.  Perhaps you have come across it.  Do you have a list of the gravestones that one can search?
Thanks, Ellen Sager

Obituary from the Oban Times on the death of Wm MacEachern, Feb 5, 1918:
Conisby - on the 5th Ult. Mr. William MacEachern peacefully passed away to his rest.  Being the oldest son of Mr. John MacEachern, farmer, he spent the greatest part of his life in this hamlet.  The deceased had been in indifferent health for the last six months, and bore his illness with great fortitude and resignation.  He was a fine speciman of the Highlander, and of the good old stamp, of which there are few remaining.  He was a lineal descendent of the famous MacEachern smiths, sword-makers and swordsmen, the makers of the sword called ceann Ileach(clann Eachern Othisinnis).  He was an enthusiastic Highlander and was fond of sports, being an athlete of some repute.  He won third prize for putting the stone in the same competition with the world renowned athlete, Donald Dinnie.  His favourite athletes were Donald Dinnie and the famous Islay athlete, Donald Gillespie, familiarly known as "Donhnull a'Chreagain".  Deceased was highly intelligent and took a warm interest in the leading political questions of the day.  He was warmly esteemed by all who knew him, and will be greatly missed.  He was 71 years of age, and has left his wife and grown-up family of four sons and three daughters to mourn his loss. The funeral took place to the burial ground in the ancient Culdee churchyard of Kilchoman.  The funeral was largely attended - an evidence of the esteem in which the deceased was held by friends and acquaintances.  Impressive services were conducted at the house and the grave by the Rev. Messrs. Taylor, Baptist Church, Bowmore, and Boyd Parish Church Kilchoman.  Sincerest sympathy is extended to his wife and family in their bereavement.

Its your luck day. My friend and I have read and recorded all Islay gravestones that are visible.  The last one we did was Bowmore which is still in use and therefore always changing
Let me know who you are looking for.  Also bear in mind I have images of all the stones too
Regards Roger

Roger

Hi Ken.
I have Euphemia Morrison McFadyen the daughter of Finlay Morrison & Effy McTaggart  of Kilchoman parish.  Born 1830c :  She is listed aged 20 with her parents in the 1841 Census at Corsabell in Kilchoman parish.

I am not convinced by data that is not proven and the above is always subject to challenge
Regards Roger