Topics

Roll call Lamont and Currie

Anne Goeden

Hello Listers

My Islay names are Coll ( Colin) Lamont born about 1786 (at Portnellen, Kilmeny) in Islay.  His parents were Donald Lamont and Janet McKechnie/McEachern.

Coll Lamont was a dancing master and was living at Portnellan farm, Kilmeny on 1841 census.

He was living at Loagin Farm, Kilmeny on the 1851 census.

Coll Lamont's siblings that I know of were Archibald (married to Margaret Buie about 1811) , John (1769-1847) Godfrey ( 1773-1860), Gilbert ( 1788-1853, married to Janet Campbell 1830))  and Mary ( born c. 1780 married to a Murdoch Currie around 1800)

Coll Lamont emigrated to Canada in 1851 to the Cheltenham district of Peel County, Ontario. In 1854 he moved to Saugeen township, Bruce County.  He died in 1861 and is buried in Port Elgin Ontario.

Coll Lamont's wife was Mary Currie.

Mary Currie was born about 1794 possibly on Baluve Farm in Kilmeny.  Mary died in 1877 ( three weeks after her brother) and is buried in Port Elgin.

Children of Coll Lamont and Mary Currie  ( all born in Kilmeny) were Mary 1826, Gilbert 1829, Donald 1833 ( my gg grandfather), Janet 1834 and Flora 1840. No baptisms have been found.

Mary Currie had a brother Donald Currie ( 1806-1877).  He emigrated to the Cheltenham area of Peel County in the early 1830s. ( guess)  He married Sarah ( Marion ) Campbell daughter of John Campbell and Catharine Sinclair on 25 Feb 1836 in Chinguacousy Township, Peel County, Ontario.  Children of Donald Currie and Sarah Campbell were Flora 1836, John 1838, Dugald 1839, Catharine 1841,Alexander 1843, George 1844, Janet 1846, Donald 1848, Colin 1850, Lachlan 1852, Neil 1854 and Mary Anne 1856 .  Donald Currie and family moved to Saugeen Township in 1854.  He died in 1877 and is buried in Port Elgin.

I don't know who are the parents of Mary and Donald Currie.  I also don't know who their other siblings were.

One possible sibling or cousin of Mary and Donald Currie is Alexander Currie born c. 1798 who married Mary Bowie.  He emigrated to Canada in 1851 ( same year as Mary Currie) and settled in Egremont Township. Some of my cousins have dna matches to the descendants of this Alexander Currie.

Since I have no church records for my ancestors, I am very lucky that they show up on the 1841 and 1851 census.  I have an obit for my ggg grandmother Mary Currie ( wife of Coll Lamont) and her brother Donald.  Mary had been baptized in the Saugeen River in 1869 by a Baptist minister.

Anne Goeden