Topics

Roll Call -- Gillespie, Bell, McGillivray, White or Whyte, McDermid, Heyman

Jeanette Kennedy

I'm a bit late to join in the roll call but am interested in finding others with interests in these families:

Gillespie & Bell
John Gillespie b. Abt 1777 m. Catherine Bell b. Abt 1805
They moved to Canada.
No good info on their parents. Speculate maybe John Bell and Catherine McNiven as Catherine's parents but other trees attribute other parents to her.

White & McGillivray (and McDermid, Heyman)
John White b. Abt 1811 m. in 1830 Ann McGillivray b. Abt 1803
In marriage record John in Skibba and Ann in Ellister
They moved to Canada.
John White possible father, living with him in 1841 census:
James White b. Abt 1851 Kilchoman, d. 1856 Ballymenach, parents Finlay White and Jane Heyman
Possible sisters (daughters of James White): Catherine White m. Donald McIntyre and Flora White m. Duncan McIntyre (brothers)

Possible sisters to Ann McGillivray: Mary m. Alexander Jamieson and Effy (Euphemia) m. James McIntyre

Possible mother to Ann McGillivray: Euphemia Effy McTaggart (not sure that's her maiden name); she's living with possible sister Mary in 1851 (Mary's mother)

Glad this mailing list is still going!

I know there are a lot of McGillivray researchers in particular on this list, so hoping to make some progress on that family if I can.

Jeanette

Dorothy Bell

I have a Catherine Bell b. abt 1805 Kilchoman Parish, Gearach, Islay, Scotland; d/o Duncan Bell & Mary Sinclair. She married John Gillespie, b. abt 1777 Kilchoman, Islay, Scotland s/o Duncan Gillespie & Mary Catherine McDougall.  They moved to Canada and settled in Minto, Wellington Co., Ontario. Both are buried at Bethel Pioneer Cemetery, Wellington Co., Ontario

[...]

Chris MacDougall

Hi Jeanette,

Like Dorothy, I have Gillespie and Bell in my tree.

I don't have an Ann McGillivray, but I do have a Mary McGillivray, born approx. 1799, who married a John Allan McLean, born approx. 1803. This family moved to Nottawasaga, Ontario, along with my direct line ancestors.

All the best,

Chris

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 5:41 PM Dorothy Bell <dotbell2011@...> wrote:

[...]

Russ McGillivray

Chris,

In the 1901 census of Nottawasaga, John and Mary McLean’s grandsons Hector and James McLean are living with Malcolm and Bessie McGilvray and are termed “nephews”. Malcolm and Bessie were siblings, children of Malcolm McGIlvray and Ann McCoag who came to Nottawasaga with most of their family in 1855. Have you determined the exact relationship between the boys and these McGilvrays?

The obvious connection would be if Ann and Malcolm Sr. were siblings. But I place Malcolm Sr. in the family of Donald McGilvray and Ann Ferguson. While he has a sister Ann, that Ann married Alexander McLellan and remained on Islay until her death in 1872. Her parentage is confirmed in the civil death registration.

Russ McGillivray

[...]

Hi Dorothy,
Thanks for connecting! I'd love to know your source for Catherine Bell being the daughter of Duncan Bell and Mary Sinclair. Is it a birth or baptism record?

There are a lot of trees on Ancestry.com that claim Duncan Bell and Mary McIntyre as parents with no proof cited or linked. Maybe there is a birth or baptism record no one has in their tree? They do seem to think she was born about 1802. I think these trees are in error, however, as they got her birth of 1802 from an 1851 Canadian census and I have her in Scotland still for the 1851 census. So I don't believe these trees.

I found a possible baptism for a Catherine Bell Jan 13, 1805 parents John Bell and Catherine McNiven. Age is about right given later census.

Any additional insights about your Duncan Bell and Mary Sinclair would be much appreciated!!  My email is jkc_kennedy@....

Thanks, Jeanette

Chris MacDougall

Hi Russ,

I am sorry, but I don't have anything for you just yet in regards to the McLeans and McGilvrays. I did note in the 1901 census of Canada it lists Hector and James as living with their family, but I haven't pieced this part of my tree together very well just yet.

The Mary McGillivray in my tree is believed to have been from Islay, but some of the other McGilvrays that went to the Nottawasaga area came from Jura, like my third great grandparents and their family. I went through my copies of the Jura parish records, and the McGillivrays seemed to drop off the map, so to speak, in the 1830s. If it was anything like my ancestors, they moved to Islay to have a better chance to board a ship destined for Canada.

Okay, after reviewing my DNA Matches on Ancestry, there is one who has a high number of McGilvrays from Islay, with some going to Simcoe County. This person's tree has Malcolm married to Ann, and two of their children are Malcolm and Bessie. There seems to be some speculation in regards to Malcolm (the father's) siblings and where/when they died. I believe that Mary is actually the sister of Malcolm, though I haven't been able to connect everything just yet.

This person's tree on Ancestry shows an Ann, born 1794, as another sister to Malcolm. They have the date of death correct as 1872, but didn't list the marriage to Alexander McLellan.

This sounds like an interesting path to follow further.

All the best,

Chris

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 10:34 AM Russ McGillivray <russmcgillivray@...> wrote:

[...]

What is the username you are matching with in Ancestry?

[...]

As it happens, my closest Y DNA match (Y700 test)  is with a descendant of the Jura McGillivrays, but the match is so far in the past that it was before they got to Jura.

[...]

The username is helloplanet2000. You took the Big Y test as well? I also took a Big Y test and have found that most of my close matches are actually MacLeans (various spellings).

I do have autosomal matches with McDougalls on Jura back to the early 1700s, so my MacLean overlap likely happens before any established records. Still, it is fun to learn more.

All the best,

Chris

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 9:07 PM Russ McGillivray <russmcgillivray@...> wrote:

[...]

Lynn Seamark

To stick my nose in this one

This is on Find a Grave for the Nottawasaga Cemetery

The stone lists John McLean’s wife as Mary McIntyre who died in 1924

DEATH REGISTER
John Allan McLean
Death Date: 9 Oct 1910
Death County or District: Simcoe, Ontario
Cause of death: pneumonia & senility
Age: 73
Gender: Male
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1837
Birth Location: Argyle, Scotland
Parents: John Allan McLean & Mary McGillivray
Son, Hector McLean, signed the death register
CHILDREN
Hector Mclean 1878 – 1946
Mary Ann Mclean 1879 –
Graham Mclean 1880 –