Request to join Old Islay

Flora MacAffer

Could any member from this group who has recently requested to join the Facebook page "Old Islay" please check their Messenger inbox.   We have received a number of requests over the past few days but haven't received any response to our messages.
Thank you.
Flora MacAffer

Morag Fowler

Hi Flora,

Can you join the Facebook Old Islay page without having a Facebook account? If so, could you tell me how, please? I am wary of Facebook itself as friends were vilified on it without redress. However, I would like to join in the group if safe.

Best wishes,
Morag M Fowler

Flora MacAffer

Hi Morag
I’m afraid you need a Facebook account to be able to join Old Islay and also our other page “Islay from the year 2000 to the present....”.
Regards
Flora

On 25 May 2021, at 17:27, Morag Fowler via groups.io <morag.fowler=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Flora,

Can you join the Facebook Old Islay page without having a Facebook account? If so, could you tell me how, please? I am wary of Facebook itself as friends were vilified on it without redress. However, I would like to join in the group if safe.

Best wishes,
Morag M Fowler

Morag Fowler

Hi Flora,

Thanks for your speedy reply. I’ll try to find out how safe Facebook is nowadays. Apart from the friends’ trouble with it, I had to go to the police over a man getting my contact details - though not through Facebook, to be fair - and sending me threatening messages, and I’m still a bit jumpy about how I’m contactable..

Recently I had a look through the file I still have from the Return of the Children week. It was so well organised and enjoyable.

Regards,
Morag

On 25 May 2021, at 17:33, Flora MacAffer <fody1950@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi Morag
I’m afraid you need a Facebook account to be able to join Old Islay and also our other page “Islay from the year 2000 to the present....”.
Regards
Flora
On 25 May 2021, at 17:27, Morag Fowler via groups.io <morag.fowler=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Flora,

Can you join the Facebook Old Islay page without having a Facebook account? If so, could you tell me how, please? I am wary of Facebook itself as friends were vilified on it without redress. However, I would like to join in the group if safe.

Best wishes,
Morag M Fowler

Allan Moore

Morag
Just a suggestion - create an account as “Morag F” and leave the photo blank, make sure all your details are for your eyes only and don’t add any friends. Then let the Admins know who you are.
Make sure you use 2 factor authentication so you don’t get hacked.
Allan

On May 25, 2021, at 11:50, Morag Fowler via groups.io <morag.fowler=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

I only joined Facebook for Old Islay and don’t have any personal information such as date of birth etc on my profile.

Return of the Children seems so long ago! If I remember correctly you are connected to the Orr family? One of my relatives, Margaret Campbell, married Neil Orr and lived at Arivoulchalum in the Lotts. Have you had your DNA tested?

Regards
Flora

On 25 May 2021, at 18:50, Morag Fowler via groups.io <morag.fowler=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

I requested to join the Old Islay group but have not received a message so far...

On Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 02:07:20 PM EDT, Flora MacAffer <fody1950@...> wrote:

Hi Morag

I only joined Facebook for Old Islay and  don’t have any personal information such as date of birth etc on my profile.

Return of the Children seems so long ago!  If I remember correctly you are connected to the Orr family?  One of my relatives, Margaret Campbell, married Neil Orr and lived at Arivoulchalum in the Lotts.  Have you had your DNA tested?

Regards
Flora
> On 25 May 2021, at 18:50, Morag Fowler via groups.io <morag.fowler=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> Hi Flora,
>
> Thanks for your speedy reply. I’ll try to find out how safe Facebook is nowadays. Apart from the friends’ trouble with it, I had to go to the police over a man getting my contact details - though not through Facebook, to be fair - and sending me threatening messages, and I’m still a bit jumpy about how I’m contactable..
>
> Recently I had a look through the file I still have from the Return of the Children week. It was so well organised and enjoyable.
>
> Regards,
> Morag
>> On 25 May 2021, at 17:33, Flora MacAffer <fody1950@...> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Morag
>> I’m afraid you need a Facebook account to be able  to join Old Islay and also our other page “Islay from the year 2000 to the present....”.
>> Regards
>> Flora
>>>
>>> Hi Flora,
>>>
>>> Can you join the Facebook Old Islay page without having a Facebook account? If so, could you tell me how, please? I am wary of Facebook itself as friends were vilified on it without redress. However, I would like to join in the group if safe.
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>> Morag M Fowler

Flora MacAffer

Jennifer, I messaged you on Monday and also emailed you after finding your address on this group.

On 25 May 2021, at 23:21, Jennifer Durocher <jen5525@...> wrote:

I requested to join the Old Islay group but have not received a message so far...

On Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 02:07:20 PM EDT, Flora MacAffer <fody1950@...> wrote:

Hi Morag

I only joined Facebook for Old Islay and  don’t have any personal information such as date of birth etc on my profile.

Return of the Children seems so long ago!  If I remember correctly you are connected to the Orr family?  One of my relatives, Margaret Campbell, married Neil Orr and lived at Arivoulchalum in the Lotts.  Have you had your DNA tested?

Regards
Flora
> On 25 May 2021, at 18:50, Morag Fowler via groups.io <morag.fowler=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> Hi Flora,
>
> Thanks for your speedy reply. I’ll try to find out how safe Facebook is nowadays. Apart from the friends’ trouble with it, I had to go to the police over a man getting my contact details - though not through Facebook, to be fair - and sending me threatening messages, and I’m still a bit jumpy about how I’m contactable..
>
> Recently I had a look through the file I still have from the Return of the Children week. It was so well organised and enjoyable.
>
> Regards,
> Morag
>> On 25 May 2021, at 17:33, Flora MacAffer <fody1950@...> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Morag
>> I’m afraid you need a Facebook account to be able  to join Old Islay and also our other page “Islay from the year 2000 to the present....”.
>> Regards
>> Flora
>>>
>>> Hi Flora,
>>>
>>> Can you join the Facebook Old Islay page without having a Facebook account? If so, could you tell me how, please? I am wary of Facebook itself as friends were vilified on it without redress. However, I would like to join in the group if safe.
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>> Morag M Fowler

Hi Flora...don't see a message on facebook messenger, but just saw the email and responded.

On Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 06:26:10 PM EDT, Flora MacAffer <fody1950@...> wrote:

Jennifer, I messaged you on Monday and also emailed you after finding your address on this group.

On 25 May 2021, at 23:21, Jennifer Durocher <jen5525@...> wrote:

I requested to join the Old Islay group but have not received a message so far...

On Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 02:07:20 PM EDT, Flora MacAffer <fody1950@...> wrote:

Hi Morag

I only joined Facebook for Old Islay and  don’t have any personal information such as date of birth etc on my profile.

Return of the Children seems so long ago!  If I remember correctly you are connected to the Orr family?  One of my relatives, Margaret Campbell, married Neil Orr and lived at Arivoulchalum in the Lotts.  Have you had your DNA tested?

Regards
Flora
> On 25 May 2021, at 18:50, Morag Fowler via groups.io <morag.fowler=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> Hi Flora,
>
> Thanks for your speedy reply. I’ll try to find out how safe Facebook is nowadays. Apart from the friends’ trouble with it, I had to go to the police over a man getting my contact details - though not through Facebook, to be fair - and sending me threatening messages, and I’m still a bit jumpy about how I’m contactable..
>
> Recently I had a look through the file I still have from the Return of the Children week. It was so well organised and enjoyable.
>
> Regards,
> Morag
>> On 25 May 2021, at 17:33, Flora MacAffer <fody1950@...> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Morag
>> I’m afraid you need a Facebook account to be able  to join Old Islay and also our other page “Islay from the year 2000 to the present....”.
>> Regards
>> Flora
>>>
>>> Hi Flora,
>>>
>>> Can you join the Facebook Old Islay page without having a Facebook account? If so, could you tell me how, please? I am wary of Facebook itself as friends were vilified on it without redress. However, I would like to join in the group if safe.
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>> Morag M Fowler

Morag Fowler

Hi Allan,

Thanks for addressing the safety of Facebook. I’ll do as you say, but I hope you don’t mind if I ask you some questions.   How do I make sure all my details are for my eyes only?  How do I contact the Admins? And how do I use 2 factor identification?

I had a Facebook account years ago, but cancelled it, only to find it was still live, and had to cancel again.

Best wishes,
Morag

On 25 May 2021, at 23:21, Jennifer Durocher <jen5525@...> wrote:

I requested to join the Old Islay group but have not received a message so far...

On Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 02:07:20 PM EDT, Flora MacAffer <fody1950@...> wrote:

Hi Morag

I only joined Facebook for Old Islay and  don’t have any personal information such as date of birth etc on my profile.

Return of the Children seems so long ago!  If I remember correctly you are connected to the Orr family?  One of my relatives, Margaret Campbell, married Neil Orr and lived at Arivoulchalum in the Lotts.  Have you had your DNA tested?

Regards
Flora
> On 25 May 2021, at 18:50, Morag Fowler via groups.io <morag.fowler=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> Hi Flora,
>
> Thanks for your speedy reply. I’ll try to find out how safe Facebook is nowadays. Apart from the friends’ trouble with it, I had to go to the police over a man getting my contact details - though not through Facebook, to be fair - and sending me threatening messages, and I’m still a bit jumpy about how I’m contactable..
>
> Recently I had a look through the file I still have from the Return of the Children week. It was so well organised and enjoyable.
>
> Regards,
> Morag
>> On 25 May 2021, at 17:33, Flora MacAffer <fody1950@...> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Morag
>> I’m afraid you need a Facebook account to be able  to join Old Islay and also our other page “Islay from the year 2000 to the present....”.
>> Regards
>> Flora
>>>
>>> Hi Flora,
>>>
>>> Can you join the Facebook Old Islay page without having a Facebook account? If so, could you tell me how, please? I am wary of Facebook itself as friends were vilified on it without redress. However, I would like to join in the group if safe.
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>> Morag M Fowler

Morag Fowler

Hi Flora,

You have a good memory. Yes, I have had my DNA tested, but came up with little Islay connection. I must look up that Neil Orr. I have a suspicion that all the Neil Orrs are connected.

Regards,
Morag

On 25 May 2021, at 23:21, Jennifer Durocher <jen5525@...> wrote:

I requested to join the Old Islay group but have not received a message so far...

On Tuesday, May 25, 2021, 02:07:20 PM EDT, Flora MacAffer <fody1950@...> wrote:

Hi Morag

I only joined Facebook for Old Islay and  don’t have any personal information such as date of birth etc on my profile.

Return of the Children seems so long ago!  If I remember correctly you are connected to the Orr family?  One of my relatives, Margaret Campbell, married Neil Orr and lived at Arivoulchalum in the Lotts.  Have you had your DNA tested?

Regards
Flora
> On 25 May 2021, at 18:50, Morag Fowler via groups.io <morag.fowler=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> Hi Flora,
>
> Thanks for your speedy reply. I’ll try to find out how safe Facebook is nowadays. Apart from the friends’ trouble with it, I had to go to the police over a man getting my contact details - though not through Facebook, to be fair - and sending me threatening messages, and I’m still a bit jumpy about how I’m contactable..
>
> Recently I had a look through the file I still have from the Return of the Children week. It was so well organised and enjoyable.
>
> Regards,
> Morag
>> On 25 May 2021, at 17:33, Flora MacAffer <fody1950@...> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Morag
>> I’m afraid you need a Facebook account to be able  to join Old Islay and also our other page “Islay from the year 2000 to the present....”.
>> Regards
>> Flora
>>>
>>> Hi Flora,
>>>
>>> Can you join the Facebook Old Islay page without having a Facebook account? If so, could you tell me how, please? I am wary of Facebook itself as friends were vilified on it without redress. However, I would like to join in the group if safe.
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>> Morag M Fowler

Sue Visser

Hi Morag and any others who are interested in Old Islay but have concerns.

Like you want to do Morag, I have my Facebook account very tightly secure.

BEFORE joining, make sure you have good general internet security.  This is to keep you safe with all your online work.  Check out other ways to help keep you secure.  I use ‘startpage’ for ALL my internet searching.  I have an ad blocker, Ghostery.  I use F. B. Purity for Facebook (check it out).  There are others out there – these are just what I use.

To answer your questions:

I haven’t answered any personal questions other than ‘married’ when I signed on to FB.  I do however have a photo – right now it’s a card one of my grandchildren made saying “I miss you” (re COVID).  For significant days, like Remembrance Day, I change my photo to something appropriate.

After you sign up and log on to your Facebook account, in the upper right corner, you’ll see an arrow down:

Go to Settings.

Under Security and login you’ll find your two-factor authentication.  There are a couple of other security things you might want to check out there.

Under Privacy:  check out each item.  Most questions you can answer with “Only Me” but a couple you need to have differently if you want to interact with others on Old Islay and Islay from 2000.  Both are private groups and what is shared there is not open to the public:
Who can see your future posts:  “Friends”
Who can send your friend requests:  (you only have 2 choices here – I have ‘friends of friends’.
Do you want search engines outside of FB to link to your profile: “No”
How you get message requests: in order, Chats, message requests, message requests (I was told these answers help to connect with others in the private groups.

You can go through the other items under settings and it’s mostly common sense.

Also, - each Friend you have has friends.  When your Friends connect with your posts, it can be seen by their friends!  I deliberately keep my friend list VERY small, all family.  Even my best friend in life is not my FB friend!  If someone has 100s of friends, then they are not included on my FB Friend list.  I have received Friend requests of people on Old Islay or Islay from 2000.  You can “ignore” requests but if it’s someone I’ve messaged with, I politely tell them I keep my Friends list solely for close family.  You  can message back and forth with Members of Old Islay or Islay from 2000 (you’ll find a message button with each member’s name) and that too is not open to the public.  When I’ve connected with someone and it’s been apparent that we can help one another with shared research, then we’ve exchanged email addresses and have done it privately.  HOWEVER having said that, sharing on Old Islay is private and often a photo triggers many responses and memories shared – that’ what makes Old Islay so special.

Nine years ago, like you, I was quitting Facebook.  I’d contacted everyone on my Friend list and asked them continue by email only.  Then Old Islay came to my attention – and I tentatively joined, jumped in whole heartedly and have never regretted it.  “Islay from the year 2000 to the present” usually starts my day – the photography and videos posted by Ileachs are amazingly beautiful.

Once you have become a member of Old Islay, under the top heading photo, you’ll see links:  About, Discussion, Announcements ... and all the way over to “More”.  Check out “More” – media and files.  Check out “members’ – you’ll be surprised how many members you recognize.  “Discussion” are the daily posts.

Always log off when leaving FB. It’s under that arrow down I mentioned at the very beginning.  It’s like logging off your online bank account – it closes the door.

Morag – it might sound daunting but once you start, you’ll find it makes sense.  I hope you join.  The only problem I have with Old Islay and Islay from 2000 is that I end up reading and watching so much that I lose track of time.  During COVID and months of lock down, that has been a blessing!

Regards from Ontario,
Sue Visser

Sharee Hughes

I haveconcerns about groups who require you to be on favevook

On Wed, May 26, 2021, 1:02 PM Sue Visser <genealgal2@...> wrote:
[...]

I agree wholeheartedly with Sue that the Facebook Islay groups are well worth the effort.  She also gives wise advice. [As ever.]

Facebook does have security issues, but it's easy to set up a dummy Gmail account and keep that and your Facebook membership separate from your "real" life.

regards Seymour

Morag Fowler

Thanks very much, Sue, for your advice. I feel a bit daunted, but will have a go.

Best wishes,
Morag