Topics

Request for Assistance - Mary McArthur

Nancy Olson

Hello.  This is my first time requesting assistance/input from this group.  Thank you in advance.  Wondering if anybody is familiar with Mary McArthur christened in Kildalton on 10 February 1820 - parents Niel McArthur and Rose Kelly?  I have been at a brick wall researching my great grandmother for years.  All I know is that "my" Mary McArthur was born on Islay in 1820 and immigrated to Canada (most likely first to Montreal and then to Quebec City).  I'm not sure when she immigrated, but it was definitely sometime prior to 1849.  Would be very appreciative to get any information anybody might have about the Kildalton born Mary McArthur so I can rule her in or out as a possibility with my research.

Thanks so much.

Nancy Olson
WOlson1521@...

Sue Visser

I’m not related Nancy.

Do you have the parents’ marriage:  (from OPR transcriptions so it’s a good idea to look at the original)
McArthur Neil Kelly Rose BOTP 15 Dec 1818 Kildalton

A search on Ancestry (Canada) has one researcher recording Mary, d/o Neil McArthur/Rose Kelly marrying 24 Jan 1844 Kildalton to John Black b 1809/  They have her death 14 Nov 1875 Ardbeg, Islay.
This is not to say that this is correct – another person’s research which could be wrong but it does give you another direction to consider chasing.  Finding Mary and John’s marriage would help as it hopefully gives Mary’s parents’ names.

Happy hunting,
Sue Visser

Hello.  This is my first time requesting assistance/input from this group.  Thank you in advance.  Wondering if anybody is familiar with Mary McArthur christened in Kildalton on 10 February 1820 - parents Niel McArthur and Rose Kelly?  I have been at a brick wall researching my great grandmother for years.  All I know is that "my" Mary McArthur was born on Islay in 1820 and immigrated to Canada (most likely first to Montreal and then to Quebec City).  I'm not sure when she immigrated, but it was definitely sometime prior to 1849.  Would be very appreciative to get any information anybody might have about the Kildalton born Mary McArthur so I can rule her in or out as a possibility with my research.

Thanks so much.

Nancy Olson
WOlson1521@...

Iain MacIntosh

Hi Sue

Here is the image of the register page  for Mary Black , daughter of Rose Kelly which conforms her parents.

Iain MacIntosh

Hello.  This is my first time requesting assistance/input from this group.  Thank you in advance.  Wondering if anybody is familiar with Mary McArthur christened in Kildalton on 10 February 1820 - parents Niel McArthur and Rose Kelly?  I have been at a brick wall researching my great grandmother for years.  All I know is that "my" Mary McArthur was born on Islay in 1820 and immigrated to Canada (most likely first to Montreal and then to Quebec City).  I'm not sure when she immigrated, but it was definitely sometime prior to 1849.  Would be very appreciative to get any information anybody might have about the Kildalton born Mary McArthur so I can rule her in or out as a possibility with my research.

Thanks so much.

Nancy Olson

Sue Visser

Thanks Iain – between the two of us, we’ve turned Nancy in the right direction Smile and that Mary d/o of Neil and Rose did not emigrate.

[...]

Thank you to Sue and Iain for letting me know that I was heading in the wrong direction with my research.  Sadly, that puts me right back at the "brick wall" with no idea where to go from here because I have such limited information to work with.  Do you perhaps have any suggestions or possible resources that could help me find a Mary McArthur born in 1820 on Islay that emigrated to Canada sometime between 1820 and 1849?  Smile  Oh well, I'm afraid I may never get past this brick wall.

Thanks again for your help!

Nancy

[...]

Lynn Seamark

These are from the Islay birth spreadsheet

McArthur

Charles

McNabb

Elizabeth

Bowmore

Mary

27

May

1817

Kilarrow

McArthur

John

McArthur

Nancy

Bowmore

Mary

12

Oct

1817

Kilarrow

McArthur

Alex

Cameron

Peggy

Bowmore

Mary

9

Sep

1818

Kilarrow

McArthur

Niel

Kelly

Rose

Mary

10

Feb

1820

Kildalton

McArthur

Donald

Morrison

Margaret

Mary

8

Jan

1826

11

Oct

1825

Kilchoman

McArthur

Finlay

McCuaig

Cath

Avinvoggie

Mary

19

Apr

1825

Kilarrow

McArthur

Hugh

McCuaig

Flora

Mary

29

Apr

1825

Kildalton

McArthur

Charles

Campbell

Giles

Ballatersin

Mary

1

Dec

1827

Kilarrow

Any other births in Kilchoman before 1823 will be missing as records were destroyed.

Lynn Seamark

Iain MacIntosh

The Kilchoman OPR  ia available in 1821.  From recollection there is a note at the start of the OPR film which says something about the Presbytery instructing the Minister to purchase a book from the poor fund for the purpose of recording births, baptisms and marriages.  Certainly there are births recorded in 1821 which was the year Portnahaven parish was separated out from the Kilchoman Parish.  I took a note of it, but can’t find it at present.  Anyone have access to RD 547/540 films?
Regards

Iain

Iain

On 18 Feb 2021, at 17:03, Lynn Seamark <lmseamark@...> wrote:

[...]

Elaine

Iain MacIntosh

I have the OPR film reels for Islay - what information were you looking for?

Elaine Scott

On Friday, 19 February 2021, 13:51:41 GMT, Iain MacIntosh <iainmacintosh75@...> wrote:

[...]

Could you check the first few frames of the films. I seem to remember the note of the meeting instructing the Minister to buy as book to record births bAptisms and marriages. I was sure this was dated c 1821 - either Portnahaven or Kilchoman.  Hope you are well Elaine.  Long time no see?
Regards

Iain

Iain

On 20 Feb 2021, at 20:30, Elaine via groups.io <elaine.islay@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello Iain - All good here on Islay, hope you and yours are all well.

Taken from Kilchoman OPR:

"Kilchoman 13th Aug’t 1822

The Kirk Session of Kilchoman being met and constituted (----word not clear), the Rev’d John McKellar Mod’r, Dugald Campbell Esq’r of Ballinaby, Mr Neil McNeill Ellister, Mr Duncan Campbell Kilchoman, Mr John Ross Kelsay, Duncan Bell Conisby, John McEachern Leckgrunart, Angus Lamont Grunart, Murdoch McTaggart Corsable, Donald McIntyre Glassence, Elders & having taken into their consideration the state of the Funds of the Parish & particularly the Kirk Session Books, they found with deep regret that no register for Marriages and Baptisms were kept in the Parish previous to the month of April 1821.  They therefore authorized their Moderator to purchase Books for the use of the Kirk Session & to defray the expenses from the Kirk Session Funds which was done accordingly.  Closed with prayer.

John McKellar, Moderator"

(Note: 1st entry in Baptism Register is 17 April 1821 and 1st entry in Marriage Register is 7 May 1821)

 Regards, Elaine

On Saturday, 20 February 2021, 21:28:26 GMT, Iain MacIntosh <iainmacintosh75@...> wrote:

[...]

Brilliant Elaine. Thanks very much.

I knew I wasn’t far off.  I found my notes after searching the individual Elder’s records from the  names in your email.  Neil McNeill (Ardnacross McNeills) of Ellister who married Annabella Gillies (not Islay).  I understand that the splitting of Portnahaven and Kilchoman parishes didn’t take place until 1849, so the Portnahaven link had me confused. Obviously still part of Kilchoman Parish in the 1820’s.

My copy below has your ‘missing’ word

Braving the weather?  Take care and look after yourself.

Regards

Iain

Minute of Kilchoman Presbytery re Portnahaven Register

Register of Baptism

Kilchoman 13th August 1822

The Kirk Session of Kilchoman being met and constructed sederunt the Revd John McKellar, Mr Dugald Campbell, Captain of Ballinaby,  Mr Neil McNeill, Ellister, Mr Duncan Campbell, Kilchoman, Mr John Ross, Kelsay, Duncan Bell, Conisby, John McEachran, Lockgruinart, Angus Lamont, Gruinart, Murdoch McTaggart, Corsable, Donald McIntyre, Glassence, Elders, and having taken into their consideration the state of the funds of the Parish and particularly the Kirk Session books.  They found with deep regret that with no Register for Marriages and Baptisms were kept in the Parish previous to the Month of April 1821.  They therefore authorized their Moderator to purchase Books for the use of the Kirk Session, and to defray the expenses from the Kirk Session Funds, which was done accordingly.  Closed with prayer

John McKellar, Moderator

[...]

Interesting to note that the Session meeting date is Aug 1822 when it was decided to buy session books to record Kilchoman Parish Marriages and Baptisms but the first recorded bapt and marriage were in 1821, almost 1 1/2 years earlier.  Was someone documenting earlier – or was it from memory?  As such, those dates prior to Aug 1822 cannot be considered “primary” sources.

Thanks for sharing Kilchoman BM facts Iain and Elaine.
Sue Visser
double masking, sanitizing, distancing, isolating and patiently awaiting vaccinations in snowing again Ontario

Ken Harrison

Elaine,

As Sue says, these first 16 months are “suspect”.

Do those entries appear as if they were written in the same hand at a “single sitting”?  or do they look as though they were written at different times (like the ones from August onwards)?

Ken

Interesting to note that the Session meeting date is Aug 1822 when it was decided to buy session books to record Kilchoman Parish Marriages and Baptisms but the first recorded bapt and marriage were in 1821, almost 1 1/2 years earlier.  Was someone documenting earlier – or was it from memory?  As such, those dates prior to Aug 1822 cannot be considered “primary” sources.

Thanks for sharing Kilchoman BM facts Iain and Elaine.

Sue Visser

double masking, sanitizing, distancing, isolating and patiently awaiting vaccinations in snowing again Ontario

linda@...

I have information from an elderly (since passed away) uncle's records that my GG Grandmother Flora McEachern, was born at Leachdehaunairt, Islay, Scotland, her father's name was John, her mother's name was Catherine Clark. He also suggested that this is why our family has a tendency to prefer Kilchoman whiskey, which as a youngster I didn't understand. My GG Grandmother, married a MacDonald, lived on Mull until she immigrated to New Zealand, where she lived her life out. John McEachern, an elder from Leckgrunart, in the #550 message is the first written evidence I've seen, that he existed. The timing, age, location are all correct. My Scottish son-in-law has informed me that Leachdehaunairt is an Englishman's spelling of Leckgrunart.
Can anyone point me in a direction to find anything more about John McEachern, please?
I am a novice here and any help is most appreciated.
Thanks
Linda.