Topics

PAF software

Ken Harrison

I’d appreciate some advice from others who have gone before me on this.  I have resisted upgrading from Win7 out of fear that some (all?) of my old software would not work under Win10.

I’m being forced to make the move now, and wonder about PAF5.

I know that it is no longer available, and is not supported, and has not been replaced with anything else, so …

Have any of you found that it will/won’t operate under Win10?

If not, what is the best alternative, given that I will need to import all my data on over 29,000 persons?  I know in the past that some of the popular knock-offs did not support all the fields in PAF (birth and Bap, death & burial, etc).

Any general advice?  I’m sure several others are in a similar situation …

Ken Harrison

North Vancouver, Canada

Sharee Hughes

Hi, Ken. I also used to use PAF and was upset when my computer died and I couldn't get it again. Fortunately, I had already put all of my stuff on FamilySearch, so that's what I do now. I just add new finds to FamilySearch online. You don't have to be a member of the LDS Church o use FamilySearch.

Sharee

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 2:44 PM Ken Harrison <kenharrison43@...> wrote:

I’d appreciate some advice from others who have gone before me on this.  I have resisted upgrading from Win7 out of fear that some (all?) of my old software would not work under Win10.

I’m being forced to make the move now, and wonder about PAF5.

I know that it is no longer available, and is not supported, and has not been replaced with anything else, so …

Have any of you found that it will/won’t operate under Win10?

If not, what is the best alternative, given that I will need to import all my data on over 29,000 persons?  I know in the past that some of the popular knock-offs did not support all the fields in PAF (birth and Bap, death & burial, etc).

Any general advice?  I’m sure several others are in a similar situation …

Ken Harrison

North Vancouver, Canada

Alasdair Mcdougall

Ken, yes PAF 5 will work on Windows 10
Alasdair McDougall

I’d appreciate some advice from others who have gone before me on this.  I have resisted upgrading from Win7 out of fear that some (all?) of my old software would not work under Win10.
I’m being forced to make the move now, and wonder about PAF5.
I know that it is no longer available, and is not supported, and has not been replaced with anything else, so …

Have any of you found that it will/won’t operate under Win10?
If not, what is the best alternative, given that I will need to import all my data on over 29,000 persons?  I know in the past that some of the popular knock-offs did not support all the fields in PAF (birth and Bap, death & burial, etc).

Any general advice?  I’m sure several others are in a similar situation …

Ken Harrison
North Vancouver, Canada

Ken Harrison

Thank you to all those who wrote to confirm that PAF works fine in Win10

Ken Harrison

North Vancouver, Canada

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 1:44 PM Ken Harrison <kenharrison43@...> wrote:

I’d appreciate some advice from others who have gone before me on this.  I have resisted upgrading from Win7 out of fear that some (all?) of my old software would not work under Win10.

I’m being forced to make the move now, and wonder about PAF5.

Please export a GEDCOM before you upgrade! It will not get some of your data out, but it will get the basics. And any genealogy program and most websites will accept the upload of a Gedcom. Name it: Project.ged and if there are multiple versions of gedcoms you can export, do them all. You never know!

Valorie

I know that it is no longer available, and is not supported, and has not been replaced with anything else, so …

Have any of you found that it will/won’t operate under Win10?

If not, what is the best alternative, given that I will need to import all my data on over 29,000 persons?  I know in the past that some of the popular knock-offs did not support all the fields in PAF (birth and Bap, death & burial, etc).

Any general advice?  I’m sure several others are in a similar situation …

Ken Harrison

North Vancouver, Canada

Russ McGillivray

Ken,

I upgraded from PAF to Legacy years ago and would recommend it.

There is a free version of Legacy that has almost all of the functionality of the Deluxe version.

The Deluxe only costs about $25 so is not going to break the bank if you decide later you want to buy it.

Legacy has an import specifically for a gedcom coming from PAF.

I suggest you try uploading a gedcom to the free version and see how you like it.

It won’t be perfect – if you want I can look at the notes I made to see what manual cleanup I had to do.

Russ