From: tsinclair@...
To: Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Sent: Thursday, 27 May, 21 At 12:48
Subject: [Islay] Orkney connection?

Hello all,
I've recently been contacted by someone with a Mullindry Sinclair connection. He is quite sure his Sinclair ancestor and his brother, the sons of a "Magnus Sinclair" from Orkney came to Islay and lived on Mullindry for two generations (up to the early 1820s), then emigrated to Canada. Well, I've gone through every book and paper I've accumulated on the Islay Sinclairs, and I cannot find any evidence of this. You would think that a son would at least name one of his sons "Magnus", but I've never found that name for any Islay Sinclair.
Does anyone on this Islay list have any family history going back to the Orkneys?
Toni

Ken Harrison

Toni,
I have family history in both Islay and Orkney, but on separate lines.  On both lines, there are peripheral connections to Sinclairs.
There are lots of Sinclairs or St. Clairs in Orkney and migration between the two islands is quite logical, but I have not noticed any tales of family migration as indicated in your message.

Ken Harrison

On May 27, 2021, at 4:48 AM, tsinclair@... wrote:

Hello all,
I've recently been contacted by someone with a Mullindry Sinclair connection.  He is quite sure his Sinclair ancestor and his brother, the sons of a "Magnus Sinclair" from Orkney came to Islay and lived on Mullindry for two generations (up to the early 1820s), then emigrated to Canada.  Well, I've gone through every book and paper I've accumulated on the Islay Sinclairs, and I cannot find any evidence of this.  You would think that a son would at least name one of his sons "Magnus", but I've never found that name for any Islay Sinclair.
Does anyone on this Islay list have any family history going back to the Orkneys?
Toni
_._

tsinclair@...

Thanks Johan.  I think you've also corresponded a bit with this gentleman, so I won't go into the details.  However, he is very certain that his Mullindry Sinclairs were definitely not tenant farmers.  However, "The Daybook of Daniel Campbell of Shawfield,",compiled by Freda Ramsay, and "The Book of Islay" edited by Gregory Smith indicate that Mullindry was always a Campbell-owned farm.

Sue V.  - To my knowledge, there were 4 Sinclair brothers.  One of them - John, married a Catherine McCuaig of Kildalton parish (I think you had her in some of your family research).  Did you ever come across any information to indicate that Catherine married into a Sinclair family with Orkney origins?
Toni

DixieAC <dixieac@...>

Can be hard to dislodge “known” family history ;-)

On May 29, 2021, at 6:07 PM, tsinclair@... wrote:

Thanks Johan.  I think you've also corresponded a bit with this gentleman, so I won't go into the details.  However, he is very certain that his Mullindry Sinclairs were definitely not tenant farmers.  However, "The Daybook of Daniel Campbell of Shawfield,",compiled by Freda Ramsay, and "The Book of Islay" edited by Gregory Smith indicate that Mullindry was always a Campbell-owned farm.

Sue V.  - To my knowledge, there were 4 Sinclair brothers.  One of them - John, married a Catherine McCuaig of Kildalton parish (I think you had her in some of your family research).  Did you ever come across any information to indicate that Catherine married into a Sinclair family with Orkney origins?
Toni

Sue Visser

Hi Toni

Are you talking of John Sinclair who married Catherine McCuaig 7 Sept 1777 in Kilarrow (but NOTP)?  If so, I don’t have John’s history prior to the marriage.  Yes, I too have 4 brothers (and 2 sisters plus 2 other possible sisters).

I’ve been following this thread of Orkney→Islay connections with interest as it’s new to me.

Was Orkney involved in Culloden?  Did they have to flee as many others did, perhaps taking new names?  Perhaps someone with greater historical knowledge might be able to shed some light on these possibilities.

It’s good news to see some of the ‘charter’ SCT-ISLAY members back in the posting fray Winking smile

Sue