Topics

Mysteries and other novels set on Islay?

M. Diane Rogers

I just noticed a mystery book set on Islay - The Peat Dead by by Allan Martin. I think I'll read this one.

And I know of another - Above Suspicion by The Mulgray Twins. Has anyone read either?

Are there other #fiction books we could be reading to learn more about Islay? Past and present.
Not off topic as a review said The Peat Dead was " so redolent of its island setting that you practically smell the peat and whisky on the pages.” – Douglas Skelton". Seems good for these isolated and distanced days.

Hoping you and yours are all well. Take care everyone.
Diane
M. Diane Rogers

Sharee Hughes

Thanks for this, Diane. I just ordered The Peat Dead for my Kindle.

Sharee

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 3:33 PM M. Diane Rogers <diane_rogers@...> wrote:
I just noticed a mystery book set on Islay - The Peat Dead by by Allan Martin. I think I'll read this one.

And I know of another - Above Suspicion by The Mulgray Twins. Has anyone read either?

Are there other #fiction books we could be reading to learn more about Islay? Past and present.
Not off topic as a review said The Peat Dead was " so redolent of its island setting that you practically smell the peat and whisky on the pages.” – Douglas Skelton". Seems good for these isolated and distanced days.

Hoping you and yours are all well. Take care everyone.
Diane
M. Diane Rogers

Sharee Hughes

Okay, everyone, you might want to read this book. I ordered it this afternoon for my Kindle and I've read about a third of it. But I have to quit nwo and go to bed. Interesting read.

I write mysteries myself, so enjoy reading them as well.

Thanks again, Diane, for mentioning this book.

Sharee

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 3:33 PM M. Diane Rogers <diane_rogers@...> wrote:
I just noticed a mystery book set on Islay - The Peat Dead by by Allan Martin. I think I'll read this one.

And I know of another - Above Suspicion by The Mulgray Twins. Has anyone read either?

Are there other #fiction books we could be reading to learn more about Islay? Past and present.
Not off topic as a review said The Peat Dead was " so redolent of its island setting that you practically smell the peat and whisky on the pages.” – Douglas Skelton". Seems good for these isolated and distanced days.

Hoping you and yours are all well. Take care everyone.
Diane
M. Diane Rogers

Merle Duncan

Thanks, Diane. It’s ordered.

Merle

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Carolyn Harmon

The Last Letter  Margaret Pemberton

Sharee Hughes

I'm about 1/2 way through ow. It's very interesting. The writing style is very different from American writers--at east  a lot different from mine. I write 3 series: one is a private investigator series based in Hawaii and the other two are :cozy" mysteries, one that takes place in Florida, one in Oregon.

I visited Islay quite a few years ago (2003) with some friends. We stayed a a B&B on a farm near Port Ellen--right by the beach. I can't remember the name of it. I looked online to try to find it but the only farmhouse B&B I could find was Kentraw Farm and that is in the wrong place. Anyway,  I'm glad I had that opportunity to go there because that makes me familiar enough with Port Ellen, Bowmore, and Port Charlotte and the museum there that I know what they're talking about.

I wanted to get Above Suspicion as well, but it was not available or Kindle and I didnt want to send the money for the print edition.

Sharee

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 9:14 AM Merle Duncan <clanduncan@...> wrote:

[...]

Amazon has a copy of that book for $112.87. A little steep for my blood. Must be rare.

Sharee

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 11:14 AM Carolyn Harmon <charmon59@...> wrote:
The Last Letter  Margaret Pemberton

bqbarnard@...

Above Suspicion is available on Kindle for $5.99 under its new title Who Would Suspect!

Sharee Hughes

Thanks for that nfo. I will get it as soon as I have finished The Peat dead.

Sharee

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 12:31 PM <bqbarnard@...> wrote:
Above Suspicion is available on Kindle for $5.99 under its new title Who Would Suspect!

Carolyn Harmon

Sorry..I've had a copy for years. Plan to read again.

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 12:46 PM Sharee Hughes <shareehughes1@...> wrote:
Amazon has a copy of that book for $112.87. A little steep for my blood. Must be rare.

Sharee

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 11:14 AM Carolyn Harmon <charmon59@...> wrote:
The Last Letter  Margaret Pemberton

Sharee Hughes

Where so you live, Carolyn? If you're i the US, maybe you could loan it out to people. Book rate isn't very expensive to mail. I's be willing to pay for you to send it to me. then maybe someone else would like to read it and we can pass it around. Sound like a winner? The Peat Dead was a pretty interesting story and I just started the other one  that now has a new name.

Sharee

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 5:17 AM Carolyn Harmon <charmon59@...> wrote:
Sorry..I've had a copy for years. Plan to read again.

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 12:46 PM Sharee Hughes <shareehughes1@...> wrote:
Amazon has a copy of that book for $112.87. A little steep for my blood. Must be rare.

Sharee

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 11:14 AM Carolyn Harmon <charmon59@...> wrote:
The Last Letter  Margaret Pemberton

Carolyn Harmon

Maybe once I have a chance to read it again..I'm in the middle of a couple of projects so it will probably be a couple of wees.

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 9:48 AM Sharee Hughes <shareehughes1@...> wrote:
Where so you live, Carolyn? If you're i the US, maybe you could loan it out to people. Book rate isn't very expensive to mail. I's be willing to pay for you to send it to me. then maybe someone else would like to read it and we can pass it around. Sound like a winner? The Peat Dead was a pretty interesting story and I just started the other one  that now has a new name.

Sharee

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 5:17 AM Carolyn Harmon <charmon59@...> wrote:
Sorry..I've had a copy for years. Plan to read again.

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 12:46 PM Sharee Hughes <shareehughes1@...> wrote:
Amazon has a copy of that book for $112.87. A little steep for my blood. Must be rare.

Sharee

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 11:14 AM Carolyn Harmon <charmon59@...> wrote:
The Last Letter  Margaret Pemberton

Rosemary Abbey

It might be worth checking out your local library to see if they have a copy that you could borrow and read.
A local library not far from where I live has a copy, so once libraries open again, I will be placing a reservation on the title.

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 12:48 AM Sharee Hughes <shareehughes1@...> wrote:
[...]

What a great idea, Rosemary. I hadn't thought of that, since the libraries are all closed. But I definitely will check that out. I have already read the other two ad enjoyed them both. I liked the cat one better than The Peat Dead.

Sharee