Topics

Merry Christmas - Nollaig Chridheil & Bliadhna Mhath Ùr

Sue Visser

Sending Christmas greetings to all – and a Happy, Healthy 2021.

Sue Visser

Dixie Cutler

To you, too.
Dixie

On Dec 23, 2020, at 8:47 AM, Sue Visser <genealgal2@...> wrote:

Sending Christmas greetings to all – and a Happy, Healthy 2021.

Sue Visser

Edith Ferguson

Thank you. Back at you

On Dec 23, 2020, at 9:54 AM, Dixie Cutler <dixcutler@...> wrote:

To you, too.
Dixie

On Dec 23, 2020, at 8:47 AM, Sue Visser <genealgal2@...> wrote:

Sending Christmas greetings to all – and a Happy, Healthy 2021.

Sue Visser

tsinclair@...

Best wishes for good health to all of you this Christmas season
I'm curious about the Gaelic word Bliadhna.  I assume it means Happy.  In Dutch, the word "blij" (pronounced Bly, means happy.
I've seen other words that are similar too.  I might have to dig into this in the future, but in the meantime
"Happy New Year" in any language everyone!
Toni

Sue Visser

Hi Toni

Norm has also mentioned many similarities through the years.  Historically there was a significant relationship between the Netherlands and Scotland.  The East Neuk north of Edinburgh is a perfect example – you’d think you were walking in Dutch towns with the stepped roof lines.

Decades ago we watched a series on the origins of language.  The last program was quite memorable as it was determined that the Frisian language was the origin!  With the similarities between Fries and Gaelic – hmmmm.  Something to ponder.

Merry Christmas!
Sue

Best wishes for good health to all of you this Christmas season
I'm curious about the Gaelic word Bliadhna.  I assume it means Happy.  In Dutch, the word "blij" (pronounced Bly, means happy.
I've seen other words that are similar too.  I might have to dig into this in the future, but in the meantime
"Happy New Year" in any language everyone!
Toni

Morag Fowler

Bliadhna means “year”, ur with an accent is “new”, so literally the greeting is “year good new”.

Best wishes for Christmas and for 2021,
Morag