McNabb family of Ballychatrigan and Lyrabus

Anne Farrar

Hi Carolyn
My McNabb family arrived in Oro Township, Simcoe County, Ontario between 1832 and about 1850. The parents were Andrew McNabb b.1877 and Catherine McMath (Matheson) b. 1879. They married in Kildalton on February 27, 1802 and had numerous children, many of whom emigrated to join the family in Ontario.
My 2x great grandfather was John McNabb b. abt 1816. He arrived last as far as I can tell with his wife Mary (surname unconfirmed) I know little about them and wonder if you can help point me in the right direction. From the Census and available BMD info I can find them living in Oro and in Sebright, Rama Twp where John died. Almost all of the first generation and much of the next generation are buried at the Knox Presbyterian Cemetery on 9th line of Oro Medonte.
I hope this rings some bells for you

Sincerely
Anne McNabb Farrar

Glynn Currie

Hi Anne,
Apparently we are "cousins". I too am descended from Andrew McNabb. His son Finlay (or Findlay) was my maternal grand mother's grandfather. I have not spent much time on John's line because I have found lots of work simply following the main lines of each of my 4 grandparents.
Two Ancestry trees that I Iooked at showed John's wife as Margeretta Mary Warter (b.1824). I can not verify that from primary sources, but have temporarily accepted that while I work on my primary lines. Perhaps that gives you a place to look.
Best wishes. It is always good to meet a new cousin.
Glynn Currie

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2022-01-09 09:15 (GMT-08:00)
To: Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Islay] McNabb family of Ballychatrigan and Lyrabus

Hi Carolyn
My McNabb family arrived in Oro Township, Simcoe County, Ontario between 1832 and about 1850. The parents were Andrew McNabb b.1877 and Catherine McMath (Matheson) b. 1879. They married in Kildalton on February 27, 1802 and had numerous children, many of whom emigrated to join the family in Ontario.
My 2x great grandfather was John McNabb b. abt 1816. He arrived last as far as I can tell with his wife Mary (surname unconfirmed) I know little about them and wonder if you can help point me in the right direction. From the Census and available BMD info I can find them living in Oro and in Sebright, Rama Twp where John died. Almost all of the first generation and much of the next generation are buried at the Knox Presbyterian Cemetery on 9th line of Oro Medonte.

Sincerely
Anne McNabb Farrar

Ken Harrison

Hello, again, Anne, and Happy New Year!

Just noting a slip of the finger, Andrew and Catherine were born in 1777 and 1779, respectively.

I have their marriage only as Feb 1802, from yourself in 2018.  I see that you’ve now found an exact date – do you have an image of the OPR you could send to me?  (I just noticed that this date is in Ted Larsen’s list, and buried in my notes for a couple of decades).

I also have a note that John’s wife was Mary McDermed.  My notes on this say only “surname from Heather Hutchinson in 2019, with jpg of marriage record”.  If I did ever have this jpg I have lost it.  Perhaps Heather could contact both of us about this.

I have a jpg of the 1871 Oro death register showing the deaths within a few days of Duncan, Mary & Isabella (McCuaig).

Please contact me off-List if you would like to send/receive any docs.

Ken Harrison

From: Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io> On Behalf Of Anne Farrar
Sent: January 9, 2022 9:15 AM
To: Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Islay] McNabb family of Ballychatrigan and Lyrabus

Hi Carolyn

Sincerely
Anne McNabb Farrar

_._,_._,_