Topics

McFadyens of Bowmore, Islay

Philip Hubsmith

Hi all / Roger McWee / Russ McGilvary,

Roger was a great help to me with my McFadyen family research a year ago, unfortunately I let the trail go cold and did not follow up – I would like to try and progress once again

Roger advised me of an inscription at Bowmore Church Graveyard of my GG Grandparents, Angus and Ann McFadyen. I also understand that Roger has recorded and photographed all visible Islay gravestones including Bowmore

Is there somewhere I can view the Islay gravestones/photos including Angus and Ann’s?

Full Inscription: In loving memory of Donald McFadyen, Postmaster Bowmore who died 26th March 1899 aged 66, his wife Euphemia Morrison who died 24th January 1885 aged 55 years, his father Angus McFadyen who died 8th July ____? aged 60 years and his mother Ann McGilvary who died 19th March 1874 aged 80 years, his daughter Ann who died 7th November 1962 aged 66 years

Further ancestors of interest are: -

GG Grandparents: John Morrison B 1791 D 29.10.1875 aged 67 also buried at Bowmore Churchyard and spouse Margaret McEwan B 1801

Parents of above John Morrison: Hugh Morrison B 1775 and Mary Morrison B 1786

If anyone can give me a link to the Islay gravestones/photos, that would be great

Any help would be appreciated – thank-you!

Philip Hubsmith, Erskine, Scotland

Flora MacAffer

Hi Philip Hubsmith

You may already have the following information:-

Donald McFadyen married Margaret Carmichael (my great grand aunt) 20 Dec 1894 in Bowmore.

Their daughter Ann was born 16 Aug 1896 in Shore Street, Bowmore.
Ann died 07 Nov 1962 in Aberdeen.

Margaret died 11 Aug 1902.

I am happy to send copies of certificates if you don’t already have them.

Flora MacAffer
Bowmore, Islay

On 21 Jan 2021, at 20:48, Philip Hubsmith via groups.io <p.hubsmith@...> wrote:

[...]

Glynn Currie

Hi Philip,
Your message caught my attention. I too have a number of ancestors buried in the New Church Cemetery in Bowmore as 3 of my grandparents are descended from Islay residents. If there is a set of photographs I would love to see them.
You also mentioned the McFadyen family. While I have been too busy with other parts of my family trees, our line does intersect with the McFadyens. My paternal great grandparents were Donald Currie (1845 - 1904) and Catherine McFadyen (1851 - 1933). Catherine was the daughter of John McFadyen (b. 1803 in Kildalton) and Margaret McIntyre (b. Kildalton). Unfortunately that is all the information which I have.
Glynn Currie
Vancouver Island, Canada

Sent from my Galaxy

[...]

Hi Flora,

Thank-you for that, I have so much info I need to digest and collate and will check further if there is a connection – thank-you!

Hopefully a member can point me in the right direction for the database of Islay Gravestones and Photos

Philip Hubsmith, Erskine, Scotland

You may already have the following information:-

Donald McFadyen married Margaret Carmichael (my great grand aunt) 20 Dec 1894 in Bowmore.

Their daughter Ann was born 16 Aug 1896 in Shore Street, Bowmore.

Ann died 07 Nov 1962 in Aberdeen.

Margaret died 11 Aug 1902.

I am happy to send copies of certificates if you don’t already have them.

Flora MacAffer

Bowmore, Islay

Philip Hubsmith

Hi Flora,

Thank-you for that, I have so much info I need to digest and collate and will check further if there is a connection

Hopefully a member can point us in the right direction for the database of Islay Gravestones and Photos referred to in previous correspondence by Roger McWee

Thank-you!

Philip Hubsmith, Erskine, Scotland

Your message caught my attention. I too have a number of ancestors buried in the New Church Cemetery in Bowmore as 3 of my grandparents are descended from Islay residents. If there is a set of photographs I would love to see them.

You also mentioned the McFadyen family. While I have been too busy with other parts of my family trees, our line does intersect with the McFadyens. My paternal great grandparents were Donald Currie (1845 - 1904) and Catherine McFadyen (1851 - 1933). Catherine was the daughter of John McFadyen (b. 1803 in Kildalton) and Margaret McIntyre (b. Kildalton). Unfortunately that is all the information which I have.

Glynn Currie

Vancouver Island, Canada

Sent from my Galaxy

Glynn Currie

Flora,
Your message clicks with me as well. My grandmother was born on Shore Street in Bowmore as well. I see that you are a current resident of the town and so might have an answer to my query.
My grand mother was Flora McDiarmid (b. 1883 on Shore Street, Bowmore - 1960 in Saskatchewan, Canada). Her parents were Archibald McDiarmid and Agnes MacDonald. I have found the Valuation Rolls for 1885 and 1895 showing that Archibald McDiarmid was a tenant of a building on Shore Street.
I would like to be able to identify the building in which Gramma was born. Would you be able to suggest a way to connect the Valuation Roll to a current address?
Thanks for any help you are able to provide.
Glynn Currie
Vancouver Island, Canada

Sent from my Galaxy

Thank-you for that, I have so much info I need to digest and collate and will check further if there is a connection – thank-you!

Hopefully a member can point me in the right direction for the database of Islay Gravestones and Photos

Philip Hubsmith, Erskine, Scotland

You may already have the following information:-

Donald McFadyen married Margaret Carmichael (my great grand aunt) 20 Dec 1894 in Bowmore.

Their daughter Ann was born 16 Aug 1896 in Shore Street, Bowmore.

Ann died 07 Nov 1962 in Aberdeen.

Margaret died 11 Aug 1902.

I am happy to send copies of certificates if you don’t already have them.

Flora MacAffer

Bowmore, Islay

Flora MacAffer

Hi Philip

Margaret Carmichael was the second wife of your Donald McFadyen, Postmaster.

Flora

Thank-you for that, I have so much info I need to digest and collate and will check further if there is a connection – thank-you!

Hopefully a member can point me in the right direction for the database of Islay Gravestones and Photos

Philip Hubsmith, Erskine, Scotland

You may already have the following information:-

Donald McFadyen married Margaret Carmichael (my great grand aunt) 20 Dec 1894 in Bowmore.

Their daughter Ann was born 16 Aug 1896 in Shore Street, Bowmore.

Ann died 07 Nov 1962 in Aberdeen.

Margaret died 11 Aug 1902.

I am happy to send copies of certificates if you don’t already have them.

Flora MacAffer

Bowmore, Islay

Flora MacAffer

Glynn
I don't think I'll be able to help with that.      At that time several families would have occupied one house, and names of houses have changed over the years.   I'm not sure how the numbering on Valuation Roll/Census records went.
Flora

Thank-you for that, I have so much info I need to digest and collate and will check further if there is a connection – thank-you!

Hopefully a member can point me in the right direction for the database of Islay Gravestones and Photos

Philip Hubsmith, Erskine, Scotland

You may already have the following information:-

Donald McFadyen married Margaret Carmichael (my great grand aunt) 20 Dec 1894 in Bowmore.

Their daughter Ann was born 16 Aug 1896 in Shore Street, Bowmore.

Ann died 07 Nov 1962 in Aberdeen.

Margaret died 11 Aug 1902.

I am happy to send copies of certificates if you don’t already have them.

Flora MacAffer

Bowmore, Islay

Philip Hubsmith

Hi Flora,

Thank-you, did not know that Donald re-married after his first wife died - that is some info I did not know / Donald’s brother Hugh is my G Grandfather

Philip Hubsmith, Erskine, Scotland

Margaret Carmichael was the second wife of your Donald McFadyen, Postmaster.

Flora

Janice McClelland

We could start a new thread - "ancestors born on Shore Street". :) Wayne's grandmother, Euphemia Ferguson McNeill was also born in a house on that street 3 Jan 1884.
Jan

Glynn Currie

Verrrry interesting!

Sent from my Galaxy