Topics

McEwan - 1881 Census location

jkath@...

Hi

I’m hoping for some help in finding a location listed in the 1881 Census for William McEwan and his wife Catherine (nee Niven/McNiven). The address listed on the 1881 transcription on Ancestry has the address as Goirteau Cottar'S Ho. I’ve tried looking at the ordnance survey maps via the National Library of Scotland website but I’m not having much luck. I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance

Jessica

William McEwan

 in the 1881 Scotland Census

Name:

William McEwan

Age:

67

Estimated Birth Year:

abt 1814

Relationship:

Head

Spouse's name :

Catherine McEwan

Gender:

Male

Where born:

Kilchoman G, Argyle

Registration Number:

540

Registration District:

Kilchoman

Civil Parish:

Kilchoman

County:

Argyll

Address:

Goirteau Cottar'S Ho

Occupation:

Ag. Lab.

ED:

7

Household Schedule Number:

5

Line:

10

Roll:

cssct1881_156

Household Members:

Name

Age

William McEwan

67

Catherine McEwan

66

Margret McEwan

34

Source Citation

Parish: Kilchoman; ED: 7; Page: 1; Line: 10; Roll: cssct1881_156

Source Information

Ancestry.com. 1881 Scotland Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2007.

John Kemplen

Given the ease with which some people's written 'n' could be mis-transcribed as 'u', my best guess would be Gortan, on the west shore of Loch Indaal on the road now called the A847, just south of its junction with the B8018, which might well have been spelt Goirtean in those days..

If you have the whole Census page to hand, something I have found quite useful is to look at other entries on the page for clues to locations as entries are often grouped geographically.  If you have entries from other households with locatable addresses, then Enumeration District numbers and Household Schedule Numbers (within the same ED) can also give an indication of proximity to the household of interest.

Hope this helps.

John