Topics

McAulays

Paul MacAuley

My great great grandfather Duncan McAulay was born in Kilchoman, whether the parish or the town is not clear, around 1795 according to the 1851 Scottish census.  He married Rachel McLellan - this is from Scotland's people:  "Duncan McAulay, joiner, in Glasgow & Rachael McLelland, residing there, married 4th June [1824] by Mr. Kenneth McKenzie, Gaelic Minister, in Gorbals."

His son Angus, my great grandfather, was born in Edinburgh in 1825.  While researching, I found an old  message posted on a MacAulay message board that someone owned a book about the Quakers with this inscription:  "Angus MacAulay/ Plasterer/ Edinborough Scotland/ 1875" and "Duncan MacAulay/ Rachel McLearan/ Born Kilnehearn/ Island of Isla." Elsewhere is written "Angus MacAulay/ Glasgow" and "Chester" (presumably Chester, Delaware County, PA)."  My  great grandfather, Angus was a plasterer by trade and he emigrated to Chester.  I don't know if Kilnehearn is a name Rachael had before marriage or if she might have been adopted or the name of a farm.  How frustrating that I couldn't track down that book.

It seems that there are two groups of McAulays on Islay - Those from Kilchoman and those from Portnahaven, who may make their living on the water.  They're not far apart (at least as the crow flies) and I've wondered about a link between the the two groups.

 Through DNA testing, I see that I have a great many relatives in Ireland.  I suspect that my McAulays may have come from Ireland and later emigrated to Islay.  My great grandfather Angus spoke Scots Gaelic, played the bagpipe (probably much to the chagrin of his neighbors) and was married by a Free Church minister in Glasgow.

If anyone knows anything about Duncan and the children from is first marriage, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks,
Paul

Allan Moore

Hi Paul

Do you have a GEDMATCH reference number?

Allan

On Jan 29, 2020, at 16:42, Paul MacAuley <pmacauley@...> wrote:

[...]

​Hi Allan,

I don't quite yet, but I am working on it

[...]

mearnsmg@btinternet.com

Hi Paul,

I have been researching my McAulay family in Islay.

My GreatGrandmother, Jean McAulay, was born on 28/11/1828, in the parish of Kilchoman at the location "Portnahaven" and died on 19/10/1891 in Greenock, Renfrewshire. She had 3 brothers, Duncan (b1821 d 1887), Donald (b 1823 d 1849), Gilbert (b 1824, d 1912) and 1 sister Janet (b 1826 d 1849). All from Portnahaven but the familymoved to Garnkirk Lanarkshire by the time of the 1841 Census. Without earlier records for Kilchoman parish, there may have been other children but who knows??

Jean's parents were Alexander McAulay (b 1782 d 1860) & Jean MacPhaiden (b 1787 d 1871), both dying in Garnkirk. I have been able to identify a sister of Alexander, Jean (b 1789 d 1869) who married a Hugh Campbell.

According to Alexander's death record his parents were Gilbert McAulay & Janet Robertson. In the 1811 Tenant's list there is a Gilbert McAulay at No.4 Portnahven.

I have been scouring the Islay records for McAulays and have listed quite a few of them for the late 1700s, but with no Parish records before the early 1820s and no death records before 1855 it is proving impossible to link any of the names to establish families. I cannot say that I have your Duncan in my sights as he left Islay quite early on and McAulay is a relatively common name in Scotland, particularly in Ross & Cromarty and around Glasgow.

Regards

Mike

Not much help so far, but we are in the same location on a similar timeline, so there might be a connection.

[...]

Mike,
Thanks for taking the time to reply.  There must be some relationship between the groups but I can't find it.  I'm at one of those dead ends.

[...]

Allan,
I set up my GEDmatch  account:  the reference numbers are  EL5733646 (Ancestry) and LN6358810 (FTDNA).

Please let me know yours.

[...]

J LOCHRIDGE

Just for fun, I checked out Gedmatch.  My number is A768704 and it shows a 4.3 match on CHR1 (5.7 million)  On checking this out on my DNA Painter info it links to my Sinclairs of Islay.  It is perhaps the Islay gene (grin)!
Cheers
Johan

On Friday, 31 January 2020, 22:47:38 GMT, Paul MacAuley <pmacauley@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks, my GED Match # is A136996

On Jan 31, 2020, at 15:47, Paul MacAuley <pmacauley@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul,

I have not been able to pin down your Duncan in the Scottish census records, are you able to tell me where he was in the 1851 census.

I have noticed a (farm) called Kilchiaran close to Kilchoman. In the 1811 Tenants list there is a Duncan McLellan at Kilchiaran, phonetically this sounds like the placename in your email of 29th January.

I am not making any progress with my family, so any snippet might help me link up with any other snippet, one never knows.

Mike

Thanks for taking the time to reply. There must be some relationship between the groups but I can't find it. I'm at one of those dead ends.

Paul

Paul MacAuley

Hi Mike,

I could not find Duncan in the 1851 census on SP myself.  A friend in Scotland found the information in his records.  At the time, ScotlandsPeople and Ancestry were negotiating some sort of deal and SP didn't have him in their census registry.  Here is what I have on Duncan 1851:

Name: Duncan Mcauley
Age: 60
Estimated birth year: abt 1791
Relationship: Head
Gender: Male
Where born: Islay, argyle
Parish Number: 622
Civil Parish: Barony
Phillimore Ecclesiastical Parish Maps:
County: Lanarkshire
Address: 63 Main St Thom Sqr
Occupation: Joiner (house)
ED: 20A
Page: 21
Household schedule number: 79
Line: 15
Roll: CSSCT1851_142
Household Members:
Name Age
Duncan Mcauley 60
Mary Mcauley 20
John Mcauley 18
Margaret Mcauley 14
Jean Mcauley 10

At this point in time, Duncan's son Angus (my ggr fathr) was married to Catherine Milligan in Glasgow working as a plasterer.  Catherine died just a few years later and he emigrated to the US in 1854, I believe.  I don't know what happened to his Scottish children, Mary and Angus, aged 4 and 2 respectively, at the time of Catherine's death.

Paul

Thanks for taking the time to reply. There must be some relationship between the groups but I can't find it. I'm at one of those dead ends.

Paul

Allan Moore

Hi Paul

Sorry about the delay and I am not sure if I answered you, but my GED Match Reference is A136996

Thanks
Allan

On Feb 1, 2020, at 03:12, J LOCHRIDGE via Groups.Io <j.lochridge@...> wrote:

[...]

_Hi Hi Paul,

I use Scotland's People a lot, but Duncan does not show up on the 1851 Census. I have sent a query into Scotland People. Ideally finding Duncan's death record could give us his parents and the possible connection.

Apologies as you probably have this already, I have found an Angus McAulay 26 (plasterer born Edinburgh) & Catherine McAulay 22 (Power Loom Weaver born Eastwood Renfrew) at 6 Catherine Street in the Parish of Calton (Glasgow) in the 1851 Census, but no children

Regards

Mike

Paul MacAuley

Hi Mike,
Just out of curiosity, where are you located.  I live in the state of Idaho, USA.  (Not that it makes any difference.)  I could not find Duncan in the 1851 census either.  I mentioned this to a friend I had made in Scotland through the research I was doing and he provided me with what I sent to you.  I got the information from Ancestry.  I don't know why it's not on ScotlandsPeople.

I still haven't figured out what happened to Duncan.  I'm assuming that he emigrated somewhere, maybe Australia or New Zealand.  If he stayed in Scotland there should be some record.  I haven't found any records about Duncan beyond the 1861 census and it doesn't make sense.
If I find anything, I'll let you know
Paul

I use Scotland's People a lot, but Duncan does not show up on the 1851 Census. I have sent a query into Scotland People. Ideally finding Duncan's death record could give us his parents and the possible connection.

Apologies as you probably have this already, I have found an Angus McAulay 26 (plasterer born Edinburgh) & Catherine McAulay 22 (Power Loom Weaver born Eastwood Renfrew) at 6 Catherine Street in the Parish of Calton (Glasgow) in the 1851 Census, but no children

Regards

Mike

mearnsmg@btinternet.com

Hi Paul,

I left Greenock Scotland in 1962 now reside in Kent England. My son lives in Syracue Utah, so I have been to Idaho a couple of times.

I tried all the names you gave with Duncan but got nil returns, although I believe I found Angus and his wife. I have always taken Scotland's People as the authoratitive source of all official scottish records, it will be interested in seeing their response to my query.

If you have something on Duncan around 1861 that is good news. Prior to 1855 death records are few and far between. In the 1851 info you sent Duncan is shown as 60, so at 1861 he would be 70ish, at that age I would have thought he was too old to undertake long voyages

I'll keep you posted.

Mike

Just out of curiosity, where are you located. I live in the state of Idaho, USA. (Not that it makes any difference.) I could not find Duncan in the 1851 census either. I mentioned this to a friend I had made in Scotland through the research I was doing and he provided me with what I sent to you. I got the information from Ancestry. I don't know why it's not on ScotlandsPeople.

I still haven't figured out what happened to Duncan. I'm assuming that he emigrated somewhere, maybe Australia or New Zealand. If he stayed in Scotland there should be some record. I haven't found any records about Duncan beyond the 1861 census and it doesn't make sense.
If I find anything, I'll let you know
Paul

J LOCHRIDGE

Very small matches only, but worth a try!
Thanks Johan

On Tuesday, 18 February 2020, 00:52:49 GMT, Allan Moore <agmoore21@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Paul

Small is a start and better than none