Topics

Kildalton baptism 1796 - Duncan McNABB

Ken Harrison

My tree has shown for several decades that my 3xgr-grandfather was Duncan McNABB, born in Kildalton (Oa) and baptized there 3 Sep 1796.  His name and approximate birth info came to me over 50 years ago from other descendants in Ontario who had maintained knowledge of their Islay roots.  I subsequently found data in Ted Larsen's transcript indicating the baptism shown above (3 Sep 1796, Glenastle).  Later, I found in FamilySearch the same data, indicating that it came from FHL film 1041079.

Finally, yesterday I got a copy of the Kildalton baptisms for 1796 (from that FHL film) and there is no sign of Duncan (or any other McNABB!)

Any advice on this OPR?  Is there perhaps a different version of this register?
The one I have is unusually neat and may be a clean copy, similar to the Bishop's Transcripts in England.
The page has no parish name at the top, but has volume 539/1 indicated.  Was I sent to the wrong OPR?

Does anyone else have this Duncan McNABB (married 1816 to Grace McVORAN or MORRISON) in their data?

Ken Harrison

M. Diane Rogers

Hi, Ken,

Scotland's People's Index  shows -

MCNABB
DUNCAN
DONALD MCNABB/
03/09/1796
541/
10 82
Kildalton
Someone might have a copy from Scotland's People.

Diane R

Janet Farmer

The following is from Scotlandspeople

MCNABB
DUNCAN
DONALD MCNABB/
03/09/1796
541/
10 82 Kildalton

Kildalton
Janet (Ontario)

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021, 05:17:47 p.m. EST, Ken Harrison <kenharrison43@...> wrote:

[...]

Anne Farrar

The Parish number for Kildalton is 541. The copy you have is parish #539. I would check with Scotland's People. You may have the wrong page.

Anne

Ken Harrison

Thank you to all the Listers who contacted me, both on- and off-List, while I slept.

Special thanks to the Lister who sent me images!

So now – to get back onto a trail cold for over 5 decades, who was Duncan’s father, Donald McNabb?  He seems to have been married twice, once perhaps to a McKay, and to have been born between 1760 to 1780.  Supposedly, he did not emigrate to Canada in 1852 with the rest of the family of McNabbs and Morrisons.

[...]

Cas Houston <cmcfhouston@...>

MCNABB
DUNCAN
  son of DONALD MCNABB/
03/09/1796
541/
10 82
Kildalton

On 18-Feb-21 6:48 AM, M. Diane Rogers wrote:
MCNABB
DUNCAN
DONALD MCNABB/
03/09/1796