John Sinclair Sarah Jamieson + Minto township, Ontario

tsinclair@...

Hello Robinson!
I have a LOT of this Sinclair family information for you!   I have John's birth year as either 1782 or 1786, depending on the census.  Sarah,b. 4June,1788.  She was the daughter of William Jamieson and Betty Sweet.  John and Sarah (aka Marion) had the following children:
1.  Archibald,  Jan. 20,1813,  Killinian (m. Elizabeth MacIntyre in Ontario)
2.  Alice, 8 Feb.1814, Killinian
3.  Duncan, 4 Nov. 1816, Bowmore
4.  Alexander, 17Oct. 1820 Bowmore
5.  John,29 July, 1822, Upper Killinian
6.  Donald, 9May, 1824,  Bowmore
7.   Robert, 20 Aug. 1827, Upper Killinian
8.  Catherine, 18 Dec. 1829, Upper Killinian

I believe Archibald  emigrated first.  The rest of the family were still on Islay for the 1841 census - but in Kilchoman parish.  -  John55, Marion 50, Elizabeth 25,     Alexander 20, John 15, Donald 15, Robert 13, Catherine 10.   Plus 4 MacDearmid children:   Ann 6, Marion 4, Duncan2, and Mary 1month.   I think they were Elizabeth's children.  And I also think that the name of Alice and Elizabeth were interchangeable.

I have found a couple  of books with some info written about this family.  By all accounts the sons were big men and very musical.    All six of the sons took up land in Minto township, where they all farmed, except for John, who moved to  neighbouring Erin Township where his wife's MacLean family also settled.  A very good friend of mine is John's descendant, and he is also a strapping big and musical man.   Which of the brothers  is your ancestor?  I can give you a lot of info about any one of them, but perhaps we can leave that discussion between us, unless there are others who are interested in this particular family.

Now, back to John's father -  The Sinclairs on Islay (and much of Argyllshire) were known by the name of McNokaird (various spellings) before approx. 1750.  But they predate parish birth and marriage records, so I'm very interested to learn the source of that information which says his father was born in March of 1740.  Did Geni give his first name?  I think I have the names of all the McNokairds on Islay from old tenant lists, etc. and the names of the farms where they lived.  I'd be very interested to know John's father's name so that I can finally bridge the gap.

I hope some of this is helpful.
Toni

Julie Prusila <julie.prusila@...>

I’m interested. Alexander Sinclair married Nanny McLellan, my second great grand aunt. Knowing more would help clarify my tree.

Julie Prusila
Nee Barnard born in Mount Forest
613-447-2377

On Jan 28, 2021, at 8:53 PM, tsinclair@... wrote:

[...]

Hello Julie,
Here's what I have for "Annie" McLellan in my notes.  She and Alexander Sinclair were married 29 January,1828.  She was the daughter of Archibald  and Catherine McLellan.  Alex died on the 9th of Oct.1909, age 91 yrs.  Buried at Farewell Cemetery, Bethel, Mount Forest.  Annie died 1 May,1911, age.90 yrs.

Their children were:  1. John,1851;  2. Archibald,  3. Catherine, 1852;  4. Sarah ca 1861;  5.  Charles (or Donald Charles?);  6. Annie; 7. Lizzie,  8. Florence,  9. Robert;
10.  Duncan,1867;  11.  Alex. 1872

I have some more info on their spouses, locations, census records, obits, etc.  Which line is your's? and I'll see what else I have for you.

In case you are wondering, the Minto Sinclairs are not our Islay Sinclair line (our's settled in Fenelon twp), but I corresponded with a few descendants of John and Sarah when I was doing a newsletter article on the Minto family.
Toni Sinclair

Iain MacIntosh

Hi Toni, could you clarify Alexander and Annie Sinclair’s dates  please ?    If they married in 1828,  he would have been 10 at the time of his marriage and  Annie 7 yrs at the time of her marriage, going by their ages at death?  Also there seems to be a large  gap between the marriage year  and the birth years of their children?

Kindest regards

Iain MacIntosh