Topics

Islay - McArthur/McGillivray

Lynn Seamark

Just food for thought on your McArthur family. You are probably aware that the Kilchoman records before 1823 (I think) were destroyed by fire. Sure makes it hard to build a tree when there are no records to work with.

Purely hypothetical guessing game using some known data and related to my family. My Margaret McArthur b. 1773 Kilchoman was married to Gilbert Currie. Margaret’s parents per her death record are James McArthur and Catherine McDermid - Probably born circa 1740’s. Potential parents of Duncan.

Margaret was born about the generation of Duncan McArthur as James was born 1805. One of Margaret’s sons is named Duncan. Naming conventions would say that if Duncan had a son – a likely name would be James - for this father. Of course we don’t know Duncan’s other children…but… below are the birth records in Kilchoman for other McArthur’s in the sameish (is that a word?) generation as James. James’s mother being Mary Currie – there should be a daughter Mary (in a perfect world) and a son Duncan. These would help give you leads to siblings of James. If you follow potential siblings, find their death records – you might find confirmation. It’s just a thought. It worked for me – finding some of Gilbert Currie and Margaret McArthur’s children – and my DNA matches are starting to add icing to the cake.

Sorry for the jumble of records – I should have made an excel spreadsheet to manipulate. Father is named first, then mother, then child’s name and date of baptism, date of birth and parish.

Other than births of James and Annabella’s children Remember – these are just leads for possible siblings of James. Which might lead to Duncan and Mary. I did not look at the census records for additional information. And of course, people move around and not all children are baptized, etc. etc.

Birth Records

McArthur

James

McGillivray