From: Cathy Lee
Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2020 2:47 PM
To: Islay@scotland-genealogy.groups.io
Subject: [Islay] Islay

Family name McCuaig. From the Kilchoman area. Dugald Mccuaig born about 1802, married Janet Turner 1822. Looking for children...and General info about the area.

Cathy Lee

Thanks Sue, I’ll check into,that.

On Jan 25, 2020, at 1:23 PM, Sue Visser <genealgal2@...> wrote:

Hi Cathy Lee

I have no direct connection but have a little data. Roger McWee probably/possibly has more in the Islay Cultural Database.

Dugald McCuaig and Janet Turner marr 27 Apr 1822 but NOT BOTP.
Son Malcolm b 2 Feb 1826, Craigfad, Kilarrow Parish
Dau Janet b 30 Dec 1836, Port Charlotte, Kilchoman Parish.

Happy hunting!
Sue McCuaig Visser

-----Original Message----- From: Cathy Lee
Sent: Saturday, January 25, 2020 2:47 PM
To: Islay@scotland-genealogy.groups.io

Family name McCuaig. From the Kilchoman area. Dugald Mccuaig born about 1802, married Janet Turner 1822. Looking for children...and General info about the area.

Diana

I have long had a 'brickwall' concerning my g.g. grandparents on Islay, but with the renewed interest and more DNA studies, I'm hoping someone might be able to enlighten me. My g.grandmother, Mary McArthur, christened 14 Mar 1840 at Islay House Farm, was daughter to James McArthur, b. abt. 1805 (Ag lab at Islay House), and Annabella McGilvray (b. abt. 1807), Marriage, 13 Feb 1827 at Kilchoman. Annabella was daughter to Archibald McGilvray (b, abt. 1776, Kilarrow, d. 5/04/1859) and Margaret McInnes (b. abt. 1772, Kilmeny). Archibald's parents were Alexander McGilvray and Marion McTaggart. Marriage, 21 Mar 1773, Kilarrow (names on certificate were 'Alex McIloray and Marrion McIntagart). So far, so good with that.......problem is with the elusive James McArthur. Still trying to find if he was from Islay (marriage certificate says he was from from Kilchoman at time of marriage), and some subsequent census taken says he was. Copy I have of his death certificate ( June, 1866, Glasgow) with info given by widow, Annabella, says his parents were Duncan McArthur and Mary Currie. Can find nothing anywhere, so far to confirm. Roger McWee could not find as to Islay, and have turned up nothing via Scotlands People that might shed some light in a concrete manner. I am not particularly savvy as to computers or research, so hoping someone might fill in some of the gaps in this family, as younger members of my family are now interested in their lineage, for which I am grateful.     Diana Vandiviere

Cathy Lee

How does someone get ahold of Roger McWee?