From: Glynn Currie
Sent: Sunday, February 7, 2021 10:19 PM
To: Islay@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Subject: [Islay] Caullorsay, Islay

I have not been able to locate Caullorsay, Islay. The handwriting is not easy to read for certain, but looks the way I have spelled it here. I believe it is a farm. If anyone can help me spell it correctly or locate it I would be very appreciative.
Glynn

Glynn Currie

Hi,

Yes it is certainly possible.

Thanks for the assist.

Glynn

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I have not been able to locate Caullorsay, Islay. The handwriting is not easy to read for certain, but looks the way I have spelled it here. I believe it is a farm. If anyone can help me spell it correctly or locate it I would be very appreciative.
Glynn

Dan Niven

On a related note, in his memoirs (written in the 1850s), my GGG grandfather, Daniel (Mac)Niven indicated that when his father (Duncan MacNiven) married his mother (Flora Campbell) he quit working at sea and moved to his father's (Malcolm MacNiven) farm in a place called "Cargostan", Islay. My GGG grandfather said he was born there in 1766.

I have been unable to identify any location/homestead with this name on Islay.  My GGG grandfather was in his 80s when he wrote this, and although he was a native Gaelic speaker, he had not set foot on Islay since he emigrated to the U.S. in 1791, so clearly time could have clouded his memory of the spelling of the place.

When I visited Islay with my family we enquired about this location and the best anyone could offer was that it was possibly Conisby, where some MacNiven's still lived at the time.  This may be, but in his memoirs my GGG grandfather described how his mother apparently suffered from severe post partum depression, and shortly after he was born she nearly threw him off a cliff near the farmstead.  There does not appear ot be a cliff near Conisby, so I suspect that is not the "Cargostan" that my GGG grandfather was referring to.

I'd appreciate any insights you may have about this.  Thanks very much.

Daniel Niven

M. Diane Rogers

Lately I've been reading this - lots of place name info.

THE NORSE IN ISLAY:
A Settlement Historical Case-Study
for Medieval Scandinavian Activity
in Western Maritime Scotland
Alan Macniven
PhD
The University of Edinburgh

I can't send the link at the moment (on my phone) but if you google the title, it should come up. Free:.pdf

Diane R

Glynn Currie

I have now been able to locate the farm of Coultorsay in Kildalton parish on Islay. For anyone who might be interested, it is about halfway between Port Charlotte and Bruchladdich. It is quite large and comes down to the sea near Port Flora.
I found the location on a map at the National Library. of Scotland site. While I have not had time to familiarize myself with this site, it is very comprehensive and a great place for anyone looking for a Scottish location.
Glynn

Sue Visser

Its in Kilchoman Parish not Kildalton

I have now been able to locate the farm of Coultorsay in Kildalton parish on Islay. For anyone who might be interested, it is about halfway between Port Charlotte and Bruchladdich. It is quite large and comes down to the sea near Port Flora.
I found the location on a map at the National Library. of Scotland site. While I have not had time to familiarize myself with this site, it is very comprehensive and a great place for anyone looking for a Scottish location.
Glynn

Glynn Currie

You are correct. My mistake.

Glynn

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I have now been able to locate the farm of Coultorsay in Kildalton parish on Islay. For anyone who might be interested, it is about halfway between Port Charlotte and Bruchladdich. It is quite large and comes down to the sea near Port Flora.
I found the location on a map at the National Library. of Scotland site. While I have not had time to familiarize myself with this site, it is very comprehensive and a great place for anyone looking for a Scottish location.
Glynn

Roger

Hi, here is my two pence worth – Corogortan in 1851 with its current name being Corra Ghoirtein in Kilarrow parish – Hope this helps – NR 3145/6960.
Regards Roger

Sent: Monday, February 08, 2021 4:03 PM

[...]

J LOCHRIDGE

I have come into this discussion late but is what is shown as Caullorsay, otherwise known as Coultorsay (Cultorsa) Kilchoman?

Johan

Sent: Monday, February 08, 2021 4:03 PM
[...]

Cas Houston <cmcfhouston@...>

Hi,

Coultersay - It looks a lovely spot with an open view to Loch Indaal and is named clearly with a sign at the entrance road on "Street View" on Google maps .

Regards

Charles Houston

My genealogy website :- http://f2s.gclabs.co.uk/surnames.html

=================

https://www.avg.com

Glynn Currie

Thanks Charles.

Glynn

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Coultersay - It looks a lovely spot with an open view to Loch Indaal and

is named clearly with a sign at the entrance road on "Street View" on

Google maps .

Regards

Charles Houston

My genealogy website :- http://f2s.gclabs.co.uk/surnames.html

https://www.avg.com

Glynn Currie

You are correct. My original spelling was based on my reading of old style hand writing. Your spelling is the correct one.