---------- Original Message ----------
From: "John Lynch via groups.io" <javankrona@...>
Date: June 4, 2021 at 9:46 AM

I’ve been pulling at this Argyle Patent thread for some time now, trying to positively establish my McArthur roots. My 2nd great Peter Robert McArthur was born in the Argenteuil region of Montreal about 1858. But I’m stuck there, though I believe he is part of a much larger family group residing in St. Andrew’s and Lachute, Quebec, I believe his father passed young while his wife was pregnant with my 2nd great. This family came out of the Argyle patent, arriving in NY in 1738: Patrick McArthur and Mary McDougall. As the Patent fell into question, this family seems to have settled near Albany, or perhaps Livingston Manor. Patrick’s grand son, Peter b. 1760 settled northward in Jericho, Vermont before settling with his wife Phobe Lane in Argenteuil in 1797. I know that when Phobe passed, she had over 200 direct descendants living in the region.

When Patrick McArthur and Mary McDougall left with Captain Laughlin Campbell for NY, two of Patrick’s brothers were also aboard in 1738. I believe this first group of families was likely well known to Campbell, and perhaps most from the same area of Islay. It’s been very difficult to find much information as regards Lachlan Campbell in Islay, which seems surprising. I did find some information in the Daybook of Daniel Campbell regarding tenancy. It’s been a struggle, have found many histories quite interesting to read of these early settlers from Islay. In two years time, I’ve got plans to stay a considerable time in Montreal and see what I can find in the local libraries.

On Jun 4, 2021, at 8:01 AM, Judith Jeon-Chapman <jjeonchapman@...> wrote:

Malcolm,

I wonder if we are cousins--perhaps very distant cousins. I wonder if your McDougalls immigrated first from the Isle of Islay, like mine, in 1739 to the Argyle Patent, in Argyle, Washington county, New York, USA. Then perhaps they immigrated to Ontario as loyalists, like many people did of that political persuasion.

I descend from Alexander McDougall and Catherine McEachron who left Scotland, from Islay, I believe, but haven't found birth documents there, and who settled in the Argyle Patent in Argyle, New York, USA. They immigrated in 1739 with parents Duncan McDougall (son of Dougal) and Janet Calder, plus siblings. They remained in that area, and were Patriots during the American Revolution.

Records show my McDougalls origine in Argyleshire, Isle of Islay, but I don't know exactly which area of Islay they are from. I would love to find documents. Any suggestions?

Judy Jeon-Chapman

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 11:54 PM Malcolm Campbell < malcolmr.campbell@...> wrote:

Hi Toni

FYI.

My 5th gg was Malcolm SINCLAIR, abt 1740, m. 08 Mar 1785, Kilchrenan and Dalavich, Argyll,Scotland to Mary McINTYRE abt. 1740

Their daughter was

My 4th gg Mary SINCLAIR, 1760 Grastell - 1796, Jura, m. to Alexander McDOUGALL 1760 Grastell - April 24, 1853, Lergybreck.
Parents of Peter “Angus” (King of Egypt) McDOUGALL(1780–1869)
Allan McDOUGALL b. 1781– Grastle

John McDOUGALL b.1783 – Grastell, - d. JUL 1871•Thorah Twp., Beaverton,ON. Tombstone in the Thorah Church Yard with that of his wife, Christina Maiden Name McDOUGALL
Who were the parents of my gg Mary McDOUGALL,
06 NOV 1815•Baolach (?), Kilarrow Parish, - d Marriage 23 MAR 1838•Wesleyan Mission House, Orillia, Simcoe Co. by Rev. J. Scott, per Christian Guardian d. 06 OCT 1896•Nottawasaga Twp., Simcoe County, Ontario, Canada buried in West Church Presbyterian Cemetary

to my Malcolm CURRIE. Guess who I am ultimately named for?

My best,

Malcolm Campbell

Malcolm Campbell

Hi Judith

So far as I know, my McDOUGALLs came from Islay, only to Upper Canada which became Ontario in the 1800's. No mention of coming through New York.

No connection to a Catherine McEACHRON anywhere.

Toni Sinclair is the best SINCLAIR connection here. She has them married to many from Islay.

I have one direct email for her

"Toni Sinclair" <tonisinclair@...>

beyond this Isaly list.

Good luck,

Malcolm

John Lynch

[...]

Chris MacDougall

Hi Judy and Malcolm,

The connection between Jura and Islay for McDougalls and Sinclairs is also of interest to me, as I have Ancestry matches who share Malcolm's ancestry (Peter "Angus" McDougall) as well as a few whose McDougall ancestors went to Argyle, New York from Islay.

The only link that I have been able to discern so far is that the connection would be back around the 1760s, as I found a link on Ancestry to my fourth great grandfather Malcolm McDougall (born around 1786) which has proven to be his brother. I also have a link to matches who have an Alexander McDougall born on Jura, and who passed away at Leargybreck. One of his sons was William Alexander McDougall, who went to North Carolina, if anyone has McDougall links there as well.

One of my theories going further back includes a link to Perthshire McDougalls, as I have a number of distant Ancestry matches who all share Perthshire McDougall ancestors. But this would be going back to the early 1700s, and I don't have a set connection established yet.

All the best,

Chris

On Fri, Jun 4, 2021 at 9:01 AM Judith Jeon-Chapman <jjeonchapman@...> wrote:
[...]

Judith Jeon-Chapman