Topics

Tried at Islay

Seymour Hosking

My niece investigated the Inveraray Jail records and found my great-great-grandfather John Kennedy “tried at Islay” for assault and breach of the peace on 11th February 1880, and sentenced to 60 days imprisonment.  (He had a previous conviction.)

Does anyone have any idea why he would have been “tried at Islay”?

His wife was tried on 17th February (for assault by stabbing) by Sheriff Campion and jury, and sentenced to 21 days imprisonment.

I believe the technical term is a “domestic”.

The jail records can be searched at the bottom of this page https://www.inverarayjail.co.uk/our-history/

Donald Young

it may be as simple as that the courthouse was on the island of Islay.

Donald Young

Throughout this season, there have been some observations that we wish to share with you in this letter as they don’t all connect specifically with expectations on the review form.  We are bringing the following concerns to your attention with the hope that we may be able to help you develop strategies to resolve them.