Topics

Archibald Currie Family (Roll Call?)

Janice McClelland

Thank you, John - I suspected this but hadn't/haven't taken any time to research it.

John Kemplen

The Gaelic surname MacMhuirich went through several stages of Anglicisation, becoming McVurich, McCurrie and Currie.  They are all the same name really.

On 18/04/2020 17:12, Janice McClelland wrote:
Hi Lois - I don't think i have anything for you. I have 3 Archibald Curries in my tree, one of which was born in 1840 and married a Flora, but she was a Campbell born in Scotland. They moved to Canada (Simcoe Co) as a family. I haven't a Flora Galbraith born in CA.

Wayne's 3x ggm was a Mary Currie (1787-1862) whose parents were Donald Currie (1760-1840) and Ann McEachern.  I haven't been able to ascertain Donald's siblings, if any, or his parents. The only info I've found lately from another tree shows Donald's father as Ivar McVurich. There's no explanation for the name change so I haven't added this to my tree. Didn't mean to digress but where I was going with that thought was that Donald may have been a great-uncle to your Archibald. Sorry that I'm not able to follow that line at all to see if that's even a remote possibility.

Sharee Hughes

I also have an Archibald Curie born on Islay in 1820 (father also Archibald, born 1795). He moved to Ontario and married Ann Gillespie there in 1845. They ad a daughter, FLora, my great-grandmother, born in 1861 and married Thomas Charles Preston in 1882. Do these match with any of your Archibalds?

Sharee