Topics

Islay to Victoria Co., Ontario - #CALDER, #CARMICHAEL, #gilchrist

M. Diane Rogers

James Gilchrist and Ann Calder, both born Islay, are my 3rd great grandparents. I am descended from their daughter Margaret and Donald Carmichael. Margaret was born on Islay.

I always heard that Donald Carmichael was too. But definite records have eluded me so far. I won't like him any less if he was born elsewhere. I'd just like to know! Someday. 

Photo believed to be Margaret Gilchrist and Donald Carmichael, based on her appearance in similar images with my quite distinctive looking great grandmother, Janet, Margaret and Donald's daughter. 

Also very interested in any family of Margaret's first child, Diana Gilchrist, one of my very favourite relatives. You can guess why.  Her father was John Gilchrist, also from Islay. 
Here is a link to a photograph of Diana Gilchrist and her husband Alexander McNabb(born on Islay in 1836) on my blog: https://canadagenealogy.blogspot.com/2008/09/1st-edition-of-canadian-genealogy.html

I have some new DNA leads, so I have started to pick up this Islay research again. And my computer and binders know more than I have here. Hoping this is readable! 

James Gilchrist b: abt 1797 Isle of Islay, Argyllshire Scotland
                               m: Ann Calder (1802-1862), on Mar 14, 1821, Kildalton, Argyllshire
                               d: Jan 23, 1867, Woodville, Victoria County, Ontario

Daughter Margaret -  b: Mar 7, 1828, Kildalton, Islay Scotland
                                               d:1875, Victoria County, Ontario 

1st m: John Gilchrist b: Sep 26, 1803 in Glenegedale, Kildalton
                                                             d: bef. 1851 in Eldon Twnshp, Victoria County,

Daughter of Margaret Gilchrist and John Gilchrist - Diana Gilchrist b: Mar 21, 1846 Fenelon, Victoria, Ont
                                               d: 1882 
                                        m: Alexander McNabb

2nd m: Donald Carmichael b: 1807 Scotland
                                                                           d: 1888 Fenelon Falls Ontario

Daughter of Margaret Gilchrist and Donald Carmichael

Janet Carmichael b: Apr 01,1851, Woodville Victoria County
                                                  m: James Irwin, 1876, Fenelon, Ontario  [ his family was from County Cavan, Ireland]
                                                   d:1929 in Newdale, Manitoba

Diane 
M. Diane Rogers
British Columbia, Canada
CanadaGenealogy, or Jane's Your Aunt:  https://canadagenealogy.blogspot.com/