Re: Roll Call

John McKinnon

Doug
Some years ago I wrote a 60 odd page history of Kynagarry Farm. The McKinnon bias may spoil it for most but it may be of some interest to descendants of the other tenants.
The list of tenants includes: Duncan Brown 1802-1821, Archibald Brown 1828-1859,  John Brown 1848-1859; JohnCarmichael 1779-1802,Duncan Carmichael 1779-1821, Dugald & Neil Carmichael 1828-1848;. There are also two Clark’s up to 1848, Duncan and Donald; one Jamieson 1859; Five MacFaiden/MacPhaiden between 1779-1859; a lone Robert McKenzie late comer 1859; four MacKinine/MacKinnon/McKinnon 1779-1850; two MacLugasalein/MacLugash 1779-1828; two MacNeill/MacNeil 1802-1859.
I’d be happy to share the text with anybody who is interested and make it available through an appropriate internet site if there is an unexpected demand. Nothing too fancy. A lot of quoted passages (eg W.N.Blair, 1888). Reasonably well sourced if people want to see where I found the information.
Cheers
John

On 26/01/2020, at 7:07 AM, Doug Carmichael <dougcarmichael@...> wrote:

Hello All, I am interested in the Carmichael  families  of Islay. I have pretty good information as far back as  Dougald Carmichael ,dob 1774 , marring  Mary McNeill dob 1778. Her parents were Lachland McNeill and Janet Wright . I do not have any information on Dougalds  parentage .Most of  information I have is from the work of A. Currie and done some years before the internet.  I have been unable to find when and why Carmichaels arrived on Islay. Family oral history has us as a Sept of the Starts of Appin.
               My branch upstakes  in the 1860' to Grey County, Ontario,joining relatives who had done so earlier. Members of the family also moved  to the Swan Valley of Manitoba about this time.

              I did find a reference to there being 3 or more Septs of Carmichael on Islay but I have been unable to "rediscover" this information. If this rings a bell with anyone please let me know. Cheers to one and all Douglas Carmichael