Re: [EXT] [Islay] Sinclairs

Chris MacDougall

Hi Judy and Malcolm,

The connection between Jura and Islay for McDougalls and Sinclairs is also of interest to me, as I have Ancestry matches who share Malcolm's ancestry (Peter "Angus" McDougall) as well as a few whose McDougall ancestors went to Argyle, New York from Islay.

The only link that I have been able to discern so far is that the connection would be back around the 1760s, as I found a link on Ancestry to my fourth great grandfather Malcolm McDougall (born around 1786) which has proven to be his brother. I also have a link to matches who have an Alexander McDougall born on Jura, and who passed away at Leargybreck. One of his sons was William Alexander McDougall, who went to North Carolina, if anyone has McDougall links there as well.

One of my theories going further back includes a link to Perthshire McDougalls, as I have a number of distant Ancestry matches who all share Perthshire McDougall ancestors. But this would be going back to the early 1700s, and I don't have a set connection established yet.

All the best,

Chris

On Fri, Jun 4, 2021 at 9:01 AM Judith Jeon-Chapman <jjeonchapman@...> wrote:
Malcolm,

I wonder if we are cousins--perhaps very distant cousins.  I wonder if your McDougalls immigrated first from the Isle of Islay, like mine, in 1739 to the Argyle Patent, in Argyle, Washington county, New York, USA.  Then perhaps they immigrated to Ontario as loyalists, like many people did of that political persuasion.

I descend from Alexander McDougall and Catherine McEachron who left Scotland, from Islay, I believe, but haven't found birth documents there, and who settled in the Argyle Patent in Argyle, New York, USA. They immigrated in 1739 with parents Duncan McDougall (son of Dougal) and Janet Calder, plus siblings.  They remained in that area, and were Patriots during the American Revolution.

Records show my McDougalls origine in Argyleshire, Isle of Islay, but I don't know exactly which area of Islay they are from.  I would love to find documents.  Any suggestions?

Judy Jeon-Chapman

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 11:54 PM Malcolm Campbell <malcolmr.campbell@...> wrote:

Hi Toni

FYI.

My 5th gg was Malcolm SINCLAIR, abt 1740, m. 08 Mar 1785, Kilchrenan and Dalavich, Argyll,Scotland  to Mary McINTYRE abt. 1740

Their daughter was

My 4th gg Mary SINCLAIR, 1760 Grastell - 1796, Jura, m. to Alexander McDOUGALL 1760 Grastell - April 24, 1853, Lergybreck.
Parents of  Peter “Angus” (King of Egypt) McDOUGALL(1780–1869)
Allan McDOUGALL b. 1781– Grastle

John McDOUGALL b.1783 – Grastell, - d. JUL 1871•Thorah Twp., Beaverton,ON. Tombstone in the Thorah Church Yard with that of his wife, Christina Maiden Name McDOUGALL
Who were the parents of my gg Mary McDOUGALL,
06 NOV 1815•Baolach (?), Kilarrow Parish, - d  Marriage 23 MAR 1838•Wesleyan Mission House, Orillia, Simcoe Co. by Rev. J. Scott, per Christian Guardian d. 06 OCT 1896•Nottawasaga Twp., Simcoe County, Ontario, Canada buried in West Church Presbyterian Cemetary

to my Malcolm CURRIE. Guess who I am ultimately named for?

My best,

Malcolm Campbell