Bowmore Street Names

Glynn Currie

In comparing the valuation rolls and street maps for Bowmore, I have noticed a couple of discrepancies. I compared the 1885 assessment roll with an 1882 street map and compared the 1895 assessment roll with an 1897 street map. In both examples the assessment rolls were consistent with one another and the maps were consistent with one another. Some of the street names on the assessment rolls were not the same as the names on the maps.

  1. The assessment rolls recorded Biggerow Street. It was not on the map. I wonder if Biggerow Street would have been an early name for what became known as Jamieson and Flora Streets jointly.
  2. The assessment rolls named School Street and Old School Street. Would they have been two names for the same street?
Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Glynn Currie