Kilchoman Parish records

Lynn Seamark

I guess I was a bit off on my comment that records in Kilchoman were destroyed before 1822/1823. The cousin who told me this well over 20 years ago had visited Islay and someone there had told her about the record destruction to explain why there were no older records. Apparently that person was a bit misinformed or memories had been fuzzy. But it did open the dialogue and now I understand more clearly. Thank you.

I looked up on Scotspeople and their list of older church records for Argyll are displayed. I realize now the records are different for each parish depending on what was available.  I do go back to the transcriptions of those records I got from our Islay group often enough – and this helps me understand what might be available/missing and noticeably the lack of death records. Because my lot were in Kilchoman it has always been difficult to get much past that 1820’s date.

Below are some of the listings:

539. JURA AND COLONSAY

Jura

B 1704-1819 M 1811-19 D -

B 1819-54 M 1819-54 D

Colonsay

B 1796-1819 M 1796-1819 D - 5392/2

B 1820-54 M 1813-54 D 1848-54

540. KILCHOMAN

B 1820-54 M 1821-54 D -

541. KILDALTON

B 1723-1819 M 1722-1819 D

B 1820-54 M 1820-54 D –

542. KILFINICHEN AND KILVICKEON

B 1804-19 M 1804-19 D - 542/2 B 1820-54 M 1820-54

543. KILMENY

B 1802-19 M - D –

B 1820-54 M -

544. KILNINIAN AND KILMORE