Re: Request for Assistance - Mary McArthur

Elaine

Hello Iain - All good here on Islay, hope you and yours are all well.

Taken from Kilchoman OPR:

"Kilchoman 13th Aug’t 1822

The Kirk Session of Kilchoman being met and constituted (----word not clear), the Rev’d John McKellar Mod’r, Dugald Campbell Esq’r of Ballinaby, Mr Neil McNeill Ellister, Mr Duncan Campbell Kilchoman, Mr John Ross Kelsay, Duncan Bell Conisby, John McEachern Leckgrunart, Angus Lamont Grunart, Murdoch McTaggart Corsable, Donald McIntyre Glassence, Elders & having taken into their consideration the state of the Funds of the Parish & particularly the Kirk Session Books, they found with deep regret that no register for Marriages and Baptisms were kept in the Parish previous to the month of April 1821.  They therefore authorized their Moderator to purchase Books for the use of the Kirk Session & to defray the expenses from the Kirk Session Funds which was done accordingly.  Closed with prayer.

John McKellar, Moderator"

(Note: 1st entry in Baptism Register is 17 April 1821 and 1st entry in Marriage Register is 7 May 1821)

 Regards, Elaine

On Saturday, 20 February 2021, 21:28:26 GMT, Iain MacIntosh <iainmacintosh75@...> wrote:

 Could you check the first few frames of the films. I seem to remember the note of the meeting instructing the Minister to buy as book to record births bAptisms and marriages. I was sure this was dated c 1821 - either Portnahaven or Kilchoman.  Hope you are well Elaine.  Long time no see?
Regards

Iain

Iain

On 20 Feb 2021, at 20:30, Elaine via groups.io <elaine.islay@...> wrote:

Iain MacIntosh

I have the OPR film reels for Islay - what information were you looking for?

Elaine Scott

On Friday, 19 February 2021, 13:51:41 GMT, Iain MacIntosh <iainmacintosh75@...> wrote:

 The Kilchoman OPR  ia available in 1821.  From recollection there is a note at the start of the OPR film which says something about the Presbytery instructing the Minister to purchase a book from the poor fund for the purpose of recording births, baptisms and marriages.  Certainly there are births recorded in 1821 which was the year Portnahaven parish was separated out from the Kilchoman Parish.  I took a note of it, but can’t find it at present.  Anyone have access to RD 547/540 films?
Regards

Iain

Iain

On 18 Feb 2021, at 17:03, Lynn Seamark <lmseamark@...> wrote:

These are from the Islay birth spreadsheet

McArthur

Charles

McNabb

Elizabeth

Bowmore

Mary

27

May

1817

Kilarrow

McArthur

John

McArthur

Nancy

Bowmore

Mary

12

Oct

1817

Kilarrow

McArthur

Alex

Cameron

Peggy

Bowmore

Mary

9

Sep

1818

Kilarrow

McArthur

Niel

Kelly

Rose

Mary

10

Feb

1820

Kildalton

McArthur

Donald

Morrison

Margaret

Mary

8

Jan

1826

11

Oct

1825

Kilchoman

McArthur

Finlay

McCuaig

Cath

Avinvoggie

Mary

19

Apr

1825

Kilarrow

McArthur

Hugh

McCuaig

Flora

Mary

29

Apr

1825

Kildalton

McArthur

Charles

Campbell

Giles

Ballatersin

Mary

1

Dec

1827

Kilarrow

Any other births in Kilchoman before 1823 will be missing as records were destroyed.

Lynn Seamark